Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
The difference is

a cold air intake put the filter close to the ground to suck in the colder air from the ground..

A short ram is a small (Length wise) fairly straight tube with filter put right behind the driver side fog light. A short ram sucks in air from behind the fog light and rams air (couldnt think of better way to say) into throttle body..

Since ram air is more in engine bay area and closer to engine it can get warmer air coming form engine so HP from cold air may be a little higher.. but from my experience on the xb not really a noticable difference except sound and price..

but my knowledge comes from driving my xb with the Weapon*R Dragon Intake and someones with an AEM Cold air intake. but will say mine kinda works like a cold air also because the end of the tube where the filter goes angles down towards the ground behind the foglight and when you press the gas you can feel it sucking air from in front of the tire..

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
On the F5 Fujita and INJEN SRIs, they also draw air from outside of the engine compartment. If I look on the driver's side of the middle grille, I can see the orange filter on the F5.

I've driven in the rain w/ both filters in this position and had no problems.

·
Registered
212 Posts
traditionally,

short ram=more torque
cai=more wot hp

its not all cases, but in most cases i've seen

·
Registered
276 Posts
^^ agree plus the CAI is more of a PITA to install... did the SRI in no more than half hour and it took that long because I have an 06 and had to "massage" a part on...lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
jpscion said:
^^ agree plus the CAI is more of a PITA to install... did the SRI in no more than half hour and it took that long because I have an 06 and had to "massage" a part on...lol
aka hack and molest with my dremel :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have one yet (working on it) but I think I'm going to end up with the F5 Fujita. After doing all the research, It seems that it will be the best for my particular application.

·
Registered
352 Posts
cold air took me a half hour... wasnt too difficult at all. maybe cuz i work in a dealership and have the tools and a rack? i could see where it could pose difficulty with just a floor jack.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
:eek: You guys confused me!!

Just say in girlie words which one you think works best, or if they really serve two different purposes which one is best IYO for xB's!

Sorry guys!

If its a matter of preference then whats yours. :)

TY!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
cold air = top end power
short ram = bottom end power

equally good. but its your preference u want out of it.
thats my girlie approach.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
LOL Thanks!

Im not putting one on my husband is, but he doesn't know much about cars either! He just likes the look of the short one.

Why is this one so big??

And what is that chrome pipe going over the engine cover??

·
Registered
352 Posts
that is because the turbocharger in tat xb. the turbo has to go between the the path of the throttle body and the intake. so it has to be re routed in the engine compartement

·
Registered
352 Posts
the chrome pipe is carrying all the air from the turbo. as u can see right at the middle top of that pipe the blow off valve is there

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the cold air intake can also be in the engine bay too, what some people do is have it in the engine bay and put an enclosure around it to separate the air filter element from the engine. But I guess the traditional way to do it is to route it so that the air filter is close to the ground.

·
Registered
352 Posts
if you are referring to perrins "cold air" it really isnt cold air. where it routes back up and sits between the radiator and the intake manifold. its blowing lots of hot air.with an aftermarket vented grille it can be considered as a short ram, but i personally dont understand what is cainged from this being in such a hot area.

·
Registered
352 Posts
luvmyxb heres my questoin to you. you want more immediate power when you take off from the start. or more power when you get into 3800-4000 rpm, on the top side of your gear?

·
Registered
212 Posts
horsepower=how hard you hit a wall
torque=how far you take the wall with you ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.