Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blah.. :D
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just installed a new cai. at first it was running well.. made my exhaust louder.. i left it on for a bit then turned it on then off.. i closed the hood of the car. turned on the car again and it stayed on but when i stepped on the gas, it wouldnt accelerate as much.. it sounds like if its gonna choke but it stays on. also.. the vsc/traction/check engine lights lit up... i already checked for leaks.. cleaned the maf sensor with a qtip.. reset the ecu and nothing... any clues??
asap please.. :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Which CAI did you get?
Not a cheapy knock off off e-bay I hope.:eek:
Did you double check all connections?
Did you re-set the ECU?
Did you check to see what may have been knocked loose? connections ? in and around the intake areas?
Is the vacuume/electrical switch in the upright position ( same direction as stock)?

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got the bomz one since i heard good stuff about it.. right now i hooked up the stock air box and still doing the same thing.. :S

·
Registered
368 Posts
just re-read your original post.
get your self a MAF sensor, you touched it with a q-tip. that is a big no-no.
you only use something like "QD Electronic Cleaner", turner cleaner from Radio Shack,Fry's, that sort of place. you lightley flush it and then blow it dry with your breath.
you touch it and break the wires, your screwed.:(

this is just my best guess if it is still doing it after replacing your stock air box.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just re-read your original post.
get your self a MAF sensor, you touched it with a q-tip. that is a big no-no.
you only use something like "QD Electronic Cleaner", turner cleaner from Radio Shack,Fry's, that sort of place. you lightley flush it and then blow it dry with your breath.
you touch it and break the wires, your screwed.:(

this is just my best guess if it is still doing it after replacing your stock air box.
thats the thing.. i just cleaned the tip if the lil wires of where a "water drop" shaped forms at.. it had a lil bit of dirt so i took it off with a dry 1tip.. none of the wires broke off.. i accelerated the car pressing down on the gas and the rpm needle wont pass the 4 on the rpm.. more like 3.5 .. after that it just starts stalling.. i took it out for a test drive and when i accelerate, itll stall like if its pulling back at 3.5rpm...

·
Registered
368 Posts
your in "limp mode", she will run that way until she sees a dealer, or you fix the problem. it doesn't take much to mess up that little sensor.

try taking it out, disconnect your battery first, clean it with tuner cleaner by gently spraying it lightly, apply connector grease ( bulb grease) and reconnect the MAF. re-connect the battery , it should have been disconnected for 15 min now,and see if that helps.

if this doesn't fix it, take it to the dealer w/stock air box on it and have them fix her up, may be your only hope.

it will need the codes cleared ( disconnecting the battery might do it)
but yeah, she is in limp mode now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yep, try the cleaner. ELECTRONIC CLEANER. QTIPS are for your ears.

If it is a bad sensor, who cares, put the stock stuff on, take it to a dealer and get it repaired.

Also, some of the oil based filters have TOOOOOOO much oil on them. I'm guessing you revved it a few times to hear the new sound. It is possible to sucked up some oils onto the sensor.

Again, ELECTRONIC CLEANER. Clean the sensor. Clean the filter as well to take off the excessive oil. Then re-oil lightly. You can usually purchase a K&N cleaning kit at most places that sell K&N Filters.

OR

Replace the filter with a AEM dry filter. Zero cost to maintain.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, try the cleaner. ELECTRONIC CLEANER. QTIPS are for your ears.

If it is a bad sensor, who cares, put the stock stuff on, take it to a dealer and get it repaired.

Also, some of the oil based filters have TOOOOOOO much oil on them. I'm guessing you revved it a few times to hear the new sound. It is possible to sucked up some oils onto the sensor.

Again, ELECTRONIC CLEANER. Clean the sensor. Clean the filter as well to take off the excessive oil. Then re-oil lightly. You can usually purchase a K&N cleaning kit at most places that sell K&N Filters.

OR

Replace the filter with a AEM dry filter. Zero cost to maintain.[/QUOTE

yeps.. it was maf sensor... tommorrow ill go pick one up at autozone.. id go to the dealer but im the second holder on the pink so the warranty doesnt cover me at all.. good thing the sensor is only like 100+i have to return my old one to get it at that price otherwise itll be like 160.. :/ yikes... ballin!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You just cant win, can you. Good luck.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fcuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally got my cai to work... here are some pics of b4 and after.. im running the Bomz Racing CAI... i test drove it and i revved it at a red light and damm... let me tell you guys, my exhaust got louder... and i feel a little more pull on take off's... good looking out guys.. thanks!!!!

[/URL]

Before:

After:

Now.. just have to install my new halos and some side graphics... ill keep u guys posted on those pics too.. :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Whoo hoo. That is awesome. You finally got one to work.

Now I can sleep at night and not think of why that blasted thing wont work.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whoo hoo. That is awesome. You finally got one to work.

Now I can sleep at night and not think of why that blasted thing wont work.
lol... it was the maf sensor that was fukdec up... i got another one at autozone for 103bucks and installed it and vualah!!! bamm.... sucks air like a mofo...

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeh.. u should see me riding down the 5 fwy.. the throttle response kicks ass.. plus i like the sound it makes when i turn off the car... :D

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah. that whirpool of air sound when you turn it off is awesome. glad it finally worked uglyfrog.
oh fo sho.. now i can race.. lol ... jajajajaajajaja.. ajajajaja.. that was a good one..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.