Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 16K miles on my car right now and the stock clutch is starting to weaken. i want to replace it with a clutch master stage 3 Racing clutch and maybe a lightened fly wheel. does anyone know how much the install runs on these items? experience with the product? any info would be great and thanks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It's been a while since I have had to have a clutch done. But if I remember right you are probably looking at $500+ on top of the cost of the clutch for installation.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wow... 16k and clutch is almost gone.

I am at around 12k right now and everything seems fine.
How hard do you drive...

I was thinking of replacing the flywheel once the clutch goes out as well....
Any one know what companies makes flywheels for our cars??

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt say it was almost gone its just not as strong as it was brand new. the car holds speed and accelerates fine it just doesnt grab at take off as well as new. i dont drive that hard im honestly just not that great at driving Stick. i always thought i was ok but maybe not if it is going this quick. no one showed me how to drive i just bought an old stick shift and figured it out. maybe i picked up some bad habits along the way or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i went 55,000 then mine went out and the dealership charges 1000.00 to replace, and since at that time mine was an 05 bought in june 04 and by oct. 05 it went out and noone knew how to work on them do 2 being new.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Don't beat yourself up about the clutch going out at 16k. Don't let other people bother you either. We all have to learn somewhere, and everyone's driving habits are different.

I'm sitting at 23xxx right now and my clutch is slipping. I've had 3 manual transmission vehicles and the other two I owned for quite the mileage and never had a problem. One of them was a Tercel EZ, and the clutch on the xB feels about the same. To end such a long winded post, I know my 2 reasons come down to my performance modifications, and my desire to 'launch' the car every now and then because of said modifications. No, I stupidly didn't get the TRD clutch - I think I should have.

A few ideas to note:

a - Get an upgraded clutch line. I hear only good things, and engagement feel on the pedal becomes more 'robust' which allows you to determine the best slip you want when you move from a stop. (I will be doing this one probably after my vacation - maybe before, who knows).

b - Unless you're making serious power, I read that the stage 3 clutch might be a bit too much for a naturally aspirated application. Perhaps just a more sporty performance clutch is what you need. Or even the stage 2.

c - Did I read lightened flywheel? I sure did! I say do it. Might as well since you have plans to upgrade the clutch. The only downside I've read, is that you may find it slightly more difficult during stop-n-go traffic, as the rotational force of the stock flywheel helps, or something...It's what I read, honest. Anyways, it'd be sweet to hear an xB rev pretty quick.

Keep us updated with what you do, and what you go with.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i have about 16K miles on my car right now and the stock clutch is starting to weaken. i want to replace it with a clutch master stage 3 Racing clutch and maybe a lightened fly wheel. does anyone know how much the install runs on these items? experience with the product? any info would be great and thanks.
thats the set up i had in my xb me and a buddy of mine did the work it was GREAT set up if you ask me...

·
Registered
131 Posts
My clutch needed replacing at 28,000 miles. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Otherwise, I was going to go with an aftermarket stage 1 clutch from Exedy or someone.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
He probably has a dealership that understands the value of a satisfied customer. And maybe more importantly the potential of a dissatisfied customer. Satisfied customers may become repeat customers. Satisfied customers tell friends about their experience with a dealership if they are asked.

Dissatisfied customers will never come back. Dissatisfied customers will take every opportunity they get to bad mouth a dealership. Even when they aren't asked. Vocal, influential dissatisfied customers can cause dealerships a great deal of hardship.

And his dealer was probably also understanding of the issue the stock xB clutch has. Clutches should not be going out on a regular basis on any car with less than 30k. Especially on a Toyota product. Actual cost to a dealership with a service tech that knows what they are doing is probably less than $500 to swap out the clutch. A very small price to pay in the long run for a satisfied customer. Good dealerships understand this. Crappy dealerships are far to short sited to understand it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boombox thank you for the kind words. i see i am not the only person who has had this problem. its nice to know i am not alone. i am still thinking of a stage 3. my friend had one in his 240sx and it was pretty sweet. im thinking of picking up a steel clutch line maybe next week. how does one install it?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Dont base it off that. A 240 clutch is much difference than an xB. It wont even be similar for the same level. Ive driven quite a few high performance cars with cluthes so strong they hurt my leg. They were just stage 3, while Ive driven others that arent bad. Dont base it off another cars feel. Do a new cluth line, a lightened flywheel, and at MOST a stage 2. Unless you're boosting, theres no reason to step up to anymore than that. (especially someone new to clutches) Youll only create more problems. Also take note, every person Ive known with a stage 3 or high equivalent clutch has had to replace them as they wear quicker than lower versions. Just something to think about it if you're wanting to do other mods in the future, you wont have a lot of money for them if you're constantly replacing a clutch.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, only go stage 3 if you're boosting. Keep in mind we only put out 108 hp stock. With all power mods, you're looking at gaining maybe 20 hp, if not a little more. A stage 3, from what I've read up on ( I wanna F/I my box at some point) will only be sufficient if you're boosted. Until that point, you won't make enough power and engagement will be so harsh you may kill the car....I dunno.... A lot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
He probably has a dealership that understands the value of a satisfied customer. And maybe more importantly the potential of a dissatisfied customer. Satisfied customers may become repeat customers. Satisfied customers tell friends about their experience with a dealership if they are asked.

Dissatisfied customers will never come back. Dissatisfied customers will take every opportunity they get to bad mouth a dealership. Even when they aren't asked. Vocal, influential dissatisfied customers can cause dealerships a great deal of hardship.

And his dealer was probably also understanding of the issue the stock xB clutch has. Clutches should not be going out on a regular basis on any car with less than 30k. Especially on a Toyota product. Actual cost to a dealership with a service tech that knows what they are doing is probably less than $500 to swap out the clutch. A very small price to pay in the long run for a satisfied customer. Good dealerships understand this. Crappy dealerships are far to short sited to understand it.
I agree with every word you said as I'm a real proponent of customer service. My local dealership found this out after I had a problem with a tire on a week old car and they didn't want to deal with it. After a discussion with the service director that didn't end well I followed that with a 3 page email expressing my extreme displeasure at the dealerships low standards for customer service, particularly since I had purchased 2 xb's there within a month.
I know there have been plenty of conversations here and on other websites about clutches wearing prematurely and from everything I've heard, Toyota will not warranty a clutch regardless of the miles. Personally I think thats BS but I haven't had to fight that battle (yet) and hope that I don't.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How the heck did you manage that one!?!?!?!?!?
I was denied warranty by the Service dept. I went directly from there to the head of the Scion department (who was recommended to me by a fellow Scion owner). I told her the situation, and she agreed - a clutch (especially from Toyota) should not go out at 28,000 miles (btw: I have driven nothing but manual transmissions for 12 years).

I brought it back, they diassembled the trans, replaced the clutch, and that was it. However, shortly there after (about 2,500 miles) the throw-out bearing started chirping. I brought it back in, and they replaced it, the trans case, several bearings, and some seals, all under warranty -- even though I was at 30,500 miles. I think they screwed something up on the clutch install, or something, so they took it upon themselves to fix it. Heck: they even gave me a rental car for a week -- free.

Needless to say, they have earned my business, and I highly recommend them to anyone in the Pacific Northwest (Toyota of Gladstone).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's nice to know that some dealerships understand that some things aren't all the owners fault. I'm just afraid that if I go in with a burnt clutch, they'll just say, "You have way to many mods, that's your fault the clutch is gone." None of my mods a re connected to the clutch, hopefully that won't happen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most importantly; where do you get light flywheels for the xB? Keep in mind that half the time you need to get a matching clutch for aftermarket flywheels (OEM not compatible).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was denied warranty by the Service dept. I went directly from there to the head of the Scion department (who was recommended to me by a fellow Scion owner). I told her the situation, and she agreed - a clutch (especially from Toyota) should not go out at 28,000 miles (btw: I have driven nothing but manual transmissions for 12 years).

I brought it back, they diassembled the trans, replaced the clutch, and that was it. However, shortly there after (about 2,500 miles) the throw-out bearing started chirping. I brought it back in, and they replaced it, the trans case, several bearings, and some seals, all under warranty -- even though I was at 30,500 miles. I think they screwed something up on the clutch install, or something, so they took it upon themselves to fix it. Heck: they even gave me a rental car for a week -- free.

Needless to say, they have earned my business, and I highly recommend them to anyone in the Pacific Northwest (Toyota of Gladstone).
Awesome. I'm glad to see that regardless of how the dealership treats these clutches that Scion realizes that they need to step up to the plate and take care of their customers....Kudo's to them. For as cheap as a T/O bearing is they should have replaced it when they had it apart the first time, classic case of being penny wise & pound foolish. I'm just glad to hear that everything was taken care of and you got your ride back and with no $$$ outta your pocket.

After my incident w/ the service director and the ensuing email wouldn't you know it I ended up with the notorious cracked windshield. I took it in expecting them to fully deny me and of course the first service manager that looked at it did, but said the regional guy that comes around once a month would have to make the call. I ended up missing that guy due to a death in the family and got a call from the service advisor later asking if I would let the service director look at it. I figured we didn't have good history and it was pointless but what the hell. He looked at it said something to the service advisor and walked off. I had a new windshield installed the following week.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.