Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently run into a problem where my stick shift 2008 Scion xB's clutch is stuck in gear. :confused:

What Happened: I was driving and when attempting to downshift into a lower gear, the car would not change out the the gear it was in "3rd" at the time, even though the clutch pedal was pushed all the way to the ground.

I had to stop at a light and turn my car off, when I turned the car off, I was able to switch gears.... When I started the car, I was no longer able to switch gears and it sticks in whatever gear I set it to while the car is off. Also, when I put it in gear when the car is off, then start it, the car automatically wants to start moving, like the clutch is released a little bit creating a pull.

I was able to drive it to a shop slowly stuck in second gear, I was able to start from a dead stop in 2nd gear... and they are telling me I need to replace the clutch for $1,500.00.

I have had clutch problems before, but I have experienced nothing like this. I am willing to get my hands dirty, but I am not sure what the issue is, and the shop won't help me figure it out without charging me the $1,500.

Any idea what this could be and how to fix it? I read somewhere that it could be a spring that is pushing the pressure plate and not allowing it to disengage while the car is on. I am new to working on cars myself, so I don't have any experience with transmissions. Any help would be great at this point.

I am thinking I have never changed the transmission oil and it is at 75,000 miles, so that will be my first try at fixing this.

Thank you again for your help!

-CJixzle3

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
It's a 9 hour job to R&I the transmission. Try another shop. Shop rates differ from place to place. Yes, expect $1000 to replace this car's clutch, or a weekend to figure it out on your own.

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

Changing your gear oil will not fix this.

It will either be your clutch, cylinder, or throwout bearing.

If your brakes still work just fine it's not your master, which leaves the slave, etc etc.

Check your cable first things first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand it takes a while to inspect, diagnose, and repair a transmission...

I want to do it myself, mostly for a learning experience, and because I don't want to pay out $1,000 on something I could probably do myself.

I am curious if anyone has experienced anything similar, how to diagnose it, and mainly where to start. I will take the whole thing apart and put it back together if need be... Just a little help would be appreciated before I start stripping my car apart.

You mentioned checking the cables... as I said, I am not too experienced with transmissions, I crawled on my floor board and checked my clutch pedal, all the cables, then I rolled under my car and looked at the transmission itself... Nothing seems out of place.

If I pop my hood, are there cables there I need to check for? I know that manual and automatic differ...

Pictures would be helpful too if you could snap a quick picture of what to look for...

Otherwise tomorrow I am rolling in there blind hoping to figure out what is wrong...

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

A DIY on changing your clutch would rock...

I couldn't find anything, so I may just document my attempt :) could be entertaining...

I will be doing this starting Sunday I believe after dinner with ma Mum. No rush on it since I'll ride my neglected motorcycle.

Any advice in the mean time or some links to a DIY would rock...

Also suggest any manufacturers or where to buy clutches would be appreciated.
:)

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
Here's a 2002 Focus. Ours is a little more complicated, but detailed instructions should be in the service manual.

I have been a fan of exedy clutches for a long time now.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-KTY15-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5DYJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368208346&sr=8-2&keywords=scion+xB+clutch[/ame]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard great things about that company as well. Any idea if this will fit the 2008 scion xB? I looked on amazon and the link you sent says it does not fit the 08...

Ill probably be ordering later today and starting this project next week.

Want to make sure I get the part right though :p

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
What you're describing isn't a clutch replacement issue. It's a minor clutch adjustment issue. See the following link to the online repair manual, clutch section.
<http://tijil.org/Scion_Docs/04_xB_Shop_Manuals/xB%20Repair%20Manuals/04%20xB%20Repair%20Manual/42%20-%20Clutch/>

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 08:27 AM ----------

Oops. I just noticed you have a 2G xB. My link is for the 1G. Same diagnosis and solution, but you'll need to find another shop manual link.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so it says that is could be one of the following issues :p...

Anyone know where I can find a repair manual for Gen2 xB? Someone said you can buy one for like $600.00 but that kind of defeats the purpose of me trying to save money...

1. Clutch pedal (Free play out of adjustment)
2. Clutch line (Air in line)
3. Master cylinder cup (Damaged)
4. Release cylinder cup (Damaged)
5. Clutch disc assy (Out of true)
6. Clutch disc assy (Excessive runout)
7. Clutch disc assy (Lining broken)
8. Clutch disc assy (Dirty or burned)
9. Clutch disc assy (Oily)
10.Clutch disc assy (Lack of spline grease)

Or if there is a DIY on any of this, that would be appreciated.

Also, BestmpgxB, what adjustment did you think it was? Were you suggesting to try the adjustment that is at the beginning of the manual or one of the above symptoms...?

Any help is appreciated. Driving my sisters jeep and riding my harley since the xB is down... Got two weeks to fix this.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
A lot of it should be similar to other models with the 2.4, if you can track one of those down for free it should be a little bit of help, I would think

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
They will be similarly set up, if not the same.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
It's hard to diagnose online, but I had a similar issue in an old Rambler. It was working fine, and one day I couldn't shift between gears except by rev matching. I limped to a shop in second gear, and the problem was a broken clutch link cable.

I think it's probably something simple, like the locking nut on the clutch pedal height adjusting rod coming loose, but you'll have to go through the possible problem causes step by step. The Camry and Matrix use the same 2.4 liter engine and similar trannies, IIRC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello,

So I have torn my car apart searching for the issue and I believe it is a clutch issue and I am going to have to replace it...

I need help with one thing now. I have the Subframe almost completely taken apart, except for one bolt on top of the subframe that I believe is attached to the Driveshaft. (I'm no mechanic but I think its the Driveshaft)

Everything was going smoothly until this point... I have the front sway bar out, the starter out, the battery out, the battery housing out, the cold air intake is out... and most of the subframe.... I have no idea how to get to the bolt... Most of this I have done just off of common sense, but I am now stuck....

Does anyone have a detailed breakdown of the 08 scion xb subframe or a repair manual for it??

Or can someone who knows a little about it please describe how to get to it...

Thanks!

Cjixzle

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
combination wrench? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can post some pictures when I get off work in about 5 hours...

I am also a little worried, because I am not really sure what I am doing... Lol.

I would hate to try and remove the subframe, then when I lower it, I rip out the drive shaft or something...

This is my biggest attempt at fixing something ever... I used to take apart Sega's as a kid... Never got them back together :p

I have followed a series of about 20 different videos and 20 different DIY's but there is nothing that goes in depth about the Subframe... Completely frustrating... But I will post a bunch of pictures this evening.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so I apologize for the poor quality photos... Go Pro was my only available camera during lunch and I was a little shaky....

Anyways, the bolt is circled in red in the first two shots.

My question with the Orange circle is does it need to be removed from the sub frame? I am afraid once I drop the subframe after removing that bolt, will it damage the thing circled in yellow. (What is it by the way?)

Also, the thing circled in yellow is in my way when I try to remove that bolt and I cannot get my ratchet in.

Any knowledge or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, got the subframe off... There were two bolts that I had missed in the middle...

Now the last mile... Just gotta take apart that transmission and I am in the clear. Clutch arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I left that guy alone after another review of my cars situation.

I now have the subframe off and I am dismantling the transmission now... This is the scary part for me, since I am a one man team. I dont want this thing crashing down on my face....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its not to bad. Just be carefull going back together that you have the cluth disc lined up correctly. And check the flywheel for cracks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I found my issue.

Broken clutch spring.... Now I just put my new Exedy clutch back in and see if I can remember how to put this car back together. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.