Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple of days I've noticed a noise coming out of the back of my car. From what I can tell it's from the drivers side suspension.

This noise only happens when the car is in motion, as when stopped and I pressed down on the car, the clunking wasn't there.

I've already checked the top shock mounts and it's all good, so I have no idea what's causing the problem.

Modifications in that area are:

OTG spacers
wheels/tires
lowering springs
trd shocks
progress rsb

Any ideas?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Look for rub marks on the parts under the car. Use your hands to move things around.

This might sound stupid, but check to make sure none of the spare tire compartment stuff is flopping around. A friend of mine had a rattle and it turned out to be the tow hook thing in the spare tire compartment flopping aound.

Parking the car and boucing it up and down usually won't tell you too much. Gotta get down and dirt.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Check the storage stuff to make sure nothing loose there like ^^^

Then I would get onder there and re-torque shims, shocks (top and lower), rims, Sway bar, ect.

Then see if it's still there. You need to do the elimination process, and start with parts you added to see if a nut loosened.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you're still running the stock shocks like I am, that's what it is. Mine probably makes the same noise. The only times it's really apparent is when I take the sub box out, and then put it back in, and the weight forces the shocks down. I'd say that means the shocks are going out....har har!

·
Registered
552 Posts

Modifications in that area are:

OTG spacers
wheels/tires
lowering springs
trd shocks
progress rsb

Any ideas?
If you're still running the stock shocks like I am, that's what it is. Mine probably makes the same noise. The only times it's really apparent is when I take the sub box out, and then put it back in, and the weight forces the shocks down. I'd say that means the shocks are going out....har har!
he posted he's on TRD shocks ^^^^^

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Very possible the same situation though. I've read that the TRD suspension components (minus the sway bar, for obvious reasons) do not hold up well as far as accepting stereo systems and stuff.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked everything suspension wise out last night. Took off the wheel, tightened up bolts, even though everything was tight....didn't fix it.

I'm now thinking it's interior. I already checked the storage and spare tire area for anything lose, and also moved my speakerbox to see if that was causing the noise...but nothing.

One of these days I'll just do a complete sweep of every panel, etc.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Have you tried having a passenger try sitting in back to track down the mystery rattle?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, but I definetly isolated it to the interior. I put down all my windows, coasted down a hill in neutral and the sound isn't on the outside.

·
Registered
309 Posts
you should try pulling the rear seats down, i remember someone telling me about something similar for the hook for the rear seat.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You may have already checked this but look at the lower nuts for the shocks. I had the same type of noise a while back and it turned out to be a loose lower nut on the shock. It felt tight to the touch but when I used a wrench it tightened up. I had some friends drive the car back and forth while I listened and walked next to the car. I was able to locate the area of the noise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a similar sound when I go over curbs or turn the vehicle, like something's twisting.... I think it is also in the interior, possibly the rear right panels under the rear right window. It bugs the @#$% out of me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
the sound i was hearing coming from mine (due to the system) was one of the heat shields. i bent it a little down and away from the body and tada! noise gone. could be that. mine was on the driver side as well.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
sounds dumb, but i had a similair problem, it was my license plate, the screws were loose and it would thump against the hatch every now and then!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sounds dumb, but i had a similair problem, it was my license plate, the screws were loose and it would thump against the hatch every now and then!
It's not that. I know it's an interior panel making the noise, I just need the time to check out which one...

Although I'm thinking it's the gray hatch thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a similar sound when I go over curbs or turn the vehicle, like something's twisting.... I think it is also in the interior, possibly the rear right panels under the rear right window. It bugs the @#$% out of me.
I have the same damn thing in mine. I have a similar setup, wheels, monroes, eibach prokit, progress sway, and OTG 10mm spacers. Mainly happens when I go over speed bumps and pull into driveways. I am going insane, I tried all the nuts and bolts I could find and nothing seems loose.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i noticed a similar sound as well but i found it was only when made right turns then straightened out. turns out the tire was clipping the plastic piece of the wheel well. maybe you guys are bottoming out on the plastic wheel well cover?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.