Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i back up with the wheels turned all the way left and then drive away i hear a clunk when the car rolls from backward to forward. i have 215/40/18's and the xB isnt lowered. it started the day i got my rims. but since it only happens when its moving i cant see whats doing it. and i cant see anything that would come close to hitting. any ideas?? i definatly dont want to blow a brand new tire, so i really want to know what it is. thanks
 

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
It's the tire hitting the fender well (i think that's what it's called) Mine does the same thing but I don't know what to do about it *sits back and waits for someone to say how to fix it*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but mine does it after i turn back straight and right when it starts to move forward, like something got bent back and gets released when it moves forward, is that what yours does, or is it just when you turn the wheels?

on a side note every time i try to make it do it it doesnt
 

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
It does it when I back out to the right and then start going straight and turn the wheels back to the left. It's only the font passenger side that's doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow yes that is exactly me too. hmmm sureley someone knows how to fix this, or what it is, or if it really matters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Just a guess here since it's not happening to me, check the inside of the wheel well and see if there are any signs of wear on the plastic liner. You'll see it on the back part of the well. If your tires and rims are too big you'll be rubbing on this piece and it's snapping back when you straighten out your wheel. Like I said, just a guess. It could happen. :D
 

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
Just a guess here since it's not happening to me, check the inside of the wheel well and see if there are any signs of wear on the plastic liner. You'll see it on the back part of the well. If your tires and rims are too big you'll be rubbing on this piece and it's snapping back when you straighten out your wheel. Like I said, just a guess. It could happen. :D
Yep, that's what mine is doing i just don't know how to stop it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
caden_stargate said:
Yep, that's what mine is doing i just don't know how to stop it.
A lower profile tire would help. The 35's don't rub that I've heard of.
For the time being, just don't turn your steering wheel as sharply and you will avoid catching the plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
This has been happening to me also, but it has nothing to do with tire size. Taz has seen my wheels a plenty. When I back up, my driver side front clunks pretty loud right when I go to stop:confused: anything info wise would hel;p
I would attribute your particular noise to "french driving habits". :eek:
If you turn up the stereo you won't be able to hear it anymore...or just have some effing pancakes. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
This has been happening to me also, but it has nothing to do with tire size. Taz has seen my wheels a plenty. When I back up, my driver side front clunks pretty loud right when I go to stop:confused: anything info wise would hel;p
I hear it too :-( I think it's coming from the back though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Sound can travel in a car and it could actually be something coming from the rear.

We had an identical complaint from a club member here in Iowa. It wound up that her hubcentric rings for her wheels were improperly machined and were not allowing the rear wheels to sit against the brake drum. Therefore the drum would rotate slightly and clank against the studs sometimes when going from reverse to forward.

This is an easy thing to check. WHEN THE CAR IS COLD, reach into your rear wheels and try to rotate the brake drum only. If it moves, you have a problem that should be fixed immediately. This could possibly do damage to you lug studs.

-Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW do i need hubcentric rings? I dont have them, just the rim on the car with lug nuts and a center cap. is this bad? and how much do they cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Xbkansas said:
WOW do i need hubcentric rings? I dont have them, just the rim on the car with lug nuts and a center cap. is this bad? and how much do they cost?
Check to see if those drums are loose first. Unless you are having handling problems you may not need hubcentric rings with your wheels.

-Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
Check to see if those drums are loose first. Unless you are having handling problems you may not need hubcentric rings with your wheels.

-Alex

i'm on the same page as Alex ^^^^ !
if all of you have aftermarket (not installed by dealer) rims, please
make sure that you have HubCentric rings and that they are installed
properly. this is a common problem w/ "universal lug patterned" wheels.

if you are running stock rims....Hmmmm, sounds like a problem which would
bring to Alex's second point, brakes, lugs....something in the suspension.

40series tires usually don't rub on 18" rims unless you have some weird
offset. you will however, find a nice shiny rubbing mark inside your wheel well
plastic covers (as what surfcitylocal points) but this will not address the knocking sound...and it depends
the exact definition of knocking OR does it sound metallic and can you feel
the knocking sound? if you feel the knock....it could be serious and you'll
need to take the car in for inspection.

just check your lug nuts and properly re-torque them to spec.

descriptions alone will not help your situation but ask someone that is willing to
spend sometime and check your precious rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i figured it out, it is the inner fender liner, i found a lip that overlaps the other parts and i had my wife sit in the car and i pulled it back and let it snap back and she said that was the same sound. so now its exacto-knife time!!!!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top