Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving over to a weekly car meet that happens here at TX St., I go over a bump, and hear a clunk. So I immediately think omg wtf, I'm screwed.

I pull over into a parking lot, get out, and see that wow, nothing feels loose, looks off kilter or anything.

Drive some more, and it's getting worse.

Not good. I'm a 30 min drive on a highway away from home.

Anyone have any idea what could be making a clunking noise whenever I go over a bump. I'm kind of afraid driving anywhere now.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
Is the sound from the front or rear of your ride? Left or right side? I had a similar noise, turned out to be a broken shock mount on the rear passenger side.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Sway bar bushings, I had a full Mazdaspeed suspension on my Protege5 and same thing used to happen to me. Then Mazda found the problem and tried many different things to correct the Clunk. When they finally found the correction, it was the rear sway bar bushings. I then ordered the new corrected bushings and the clunk was gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
if u swapped springs or added a strut bar, it could be that the nut at the top of one of the the strut towers is loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh, yes I did just put in some H.Techs. I'll let you know tomorrow, as luck would have it a friend here has a full tool set with him.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
hayalex6 said:
Ahhh, yes I did just put in some H.Techs. I'll let you know tomorrow, as luck would have it a friend here has a full tool set with him.
Good luck, we'll be waiting for good news! :)
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
I would check the strut nut, even mine came loose after a year, and it was torqued down w/ an impact wrench. It would only make a noise on bumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
take a look at the strut nut. The Dip $*@ts that installed my coilovera didn't tighten it down all the way. I drove from Riv to HB, hearing the exact same noise, with it like that. Got to the allignment place, and the guy said I was about 3 turns from losing the rear end

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah! Problem is fixed. Turns out is was the nut on top of the front drivers side strut, just tightend it all down, and I'm good as new. Thanks for the tips.
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
hayalex6 said:
oh yeah! Problem is fixed. Turns out is was the nut on top of the front drivers side strut, just tightend it all down, and I'm good as new. Thanks for the tips.
99.99% of the time, that's what it is. Glad it wasn't anything serious.
 

·
lets play beer pong!
Joined
·
274 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
take a look at the strut nut. The Dip $*@ts that installed my coilovera didn't tighten it down all the way. I drove from Riv to HB, hearing the exact same noise, with it like that. Got to the allignment place, and the guy said I was about 3 turns from losing the rear end

man that would have given me a corinary right there in the shop
where did you get that suspention set up lovin the "green"
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
Yep, TEIN coilovers. But I have black springs now. I used to have green ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
JSY'allK, I got the clunk in mine fixed today. Both strut mount nuts were loose in the front. Apparently, these aren't nylock nuts or anything. A jam nut may be in order to prevent this in the future.

-Alex
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top