Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my little nephew help me wash my xB some time ago. My had had been using the carwash bucket to clean up the lawn chairs, and had left a dish sponge in the bucket. I didn't see it, and before I knew it, my nephew decided to use the scratchy side of the sponge to clean the bugs off the hood. He scratched up the clearcoat pretty bad. Any easy way to make it look better?

·
South Bound
1,064 Posts
Get a random orbital buffer, some 3m rubbing compound, and polishing pad and have at it. Just go slow and don't let the paint heat up to much or you'll get your self in more trouble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Without looking at it, I can't tell you what will actually work without wasting your time ;)
No, really, thank you. I tried to go out on my lunch break and snap a picture, but it's too sunny out. All I'm getting is a reflection of the sun. I'll try again this evening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the best picture I could get. It's worst at the top right of the Scion emblem, but there are light scratches all the way across the front. Sorry it's not the best of pictures...she needs a bath, and I can't get a pic without the reflection.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
I'm assuming the big lines are dirt, and the little scuffs on the front, to the right of the scion badge in the picture are what you're talking about.

You might need to hit that with some 2000 grit sandpaper, wetsand it a bit, then use a medium or fine cut cleaner, machine polish, and hand glaze. Those are some pretty bad scuffs.

Try a medium cut then fine cut cleaner first, you'll know if it's working ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you got it. Like I said, she needs a bath.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot at some point. I'll have to get up the nerve to try it, and I'll have to find the time, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah, not yet. My wife got rear ended in her Saturn recently, so all of my extra time and money has been wrapped up with taking care of that...

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I do car detailing as a hobby :p heres my brothers car that we did 2 weeks ago. We wet sanded the clear coat. Then used a heavy buffing compound, medium compound then a polish and wax. If you went any pointers let me know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts