Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleared my corners today using the "break and pray" method. I didn't really want to use the oven method since I have no use for overcooked headlights.

The breaking of the orange plastic went well. I used a long screwdriver covered with black vinyl tape.

It worked well enough. I also used compressed air to clear out the orange dust. After the headlights were reinstalled I noticed that the orange turn signal bulbs still gave it the colored effect. I ran with haste to see Manny, Moe and Jack and purchased Titanium turn signal bulbs. They are silver until the lights are activated at which time the become orange. Very cool and they only cost 5 bucks each as compared to the 10 bucks for the Sylvania ones.

While I had the headlights out I thought I'd do a little more modding. I added a blue LED to each of the headlights. I had changed the bulbs out to Silverstars a few days ago and while doing that noticed that there is a small square opening in the back of the housing. I used an LED with the resistor already attached and put the bulb through the housing.

To hold the bulb in place I used a small zip-tie on the wire leads. If I decide to keep the mod I will use sealant to hold it in place.

I ran the wire leads out of the rubber boot and connected them to power and ground.

The LED's were wired to the battery with a small fused link and the ground leads were run to the 10 mm ground bold on the body.

I didn't use a switch on the LED's, they use so little power they can run for days and not harm the charge of the battery at all. Plus it looks cool when they are on.

This is what it looks like from the front side.

This is what it looks like at night with the headlights off.

Another view.

And one last shot....

I like the way it looks and I think I'll keep the mod. The only thing I think I would do differently is to paint the end of the LED black to that it doesn't give the pinpoint light when looking straight at the vehicle. I have already had two neighbors come over and tell me I left my headlights on. At dinner tonight another xB owner told me they look great. Clear corners and LED's in one day, plus I added two cold cathode tubes to my subwoofer enclosure. A busy day indeed.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
looks good man! I dig it!!

I have people tell me the same thing with my halos too. "sir you left your lights on" :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks good man, Where did you get the led with the resistor already on? Do they come 12v plug and play? Also how much? Thanks in advance. Chris

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dajap said:
Looks good man, Where did you get the led with the resistor already on? Do they come 12v plug and play? Also how much? Thanks in advance. Chris

I have seen them on line but I got mine at Autobacs in Stanton for about 18.00 (I think). Just wire them up to battery and ground and you're good to go!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
thats a very cool mod surf!!! I been wanting to clear my lights too, but been really iffy on the methods around. I also hate how I have to take off the bumper and stuff just to access the bolts for the H/L. anyways, seeing your cool mods, I might have to do it one weekend:) , I got some extra led and resistor from my previous mods I think I coud still use, but I rather tap it in the park lights, LED will burn faster if left on continiously.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sid said:
thats a very cool mod surf!!! I been wanting to clear my lights too, but been really iffy on the methods around. I also hate how I have to take off the bumper and stuff just to access the bolts for the H/L. anyways, seeing your cool mods, I might have to do it one weekend:) , I got some extra led and resistor from my previous mods I think I coud still use, but I rather tap it in the park lights, LED will burn faster if left on continiously.
I chose to not use the parking lights since the LED's are more for show when parked. I am going to install a switch though. (truth be told I was too lazy and the weather didn't permit more working time) The lifespan on these LED's is 30,000 hours, I have no idea how many days that is but it seems like a lot.

Getting the bumper off is a PITA but it's worth it. I posted another helpful hint about removal over the weekend. There is a small tab connecting the bumper to the light housing, it is easier to get the thing off if you know that going in. My neighbor was laughing at me wrestling with the darn thing for a half hour.

Post pics when you get yours done.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I chose to not use the parking lights since the LED's are more for show when parked. I am going to install a switch though. (truth be told I was too lazy and the weather didn't permit more working time) The lifespan on these LED's is 30,000 hours, I have no idea how many days that is but it seems like a lot.
1,250 days :D
nice Lakers plate btw surf ;)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
yeah, I just read your post on the other forum about that tab. googd thing you mentioned it, or i'll be wrestling with the bumper too! :)
I will surely post some pix, but not sure when i'll do the mod yet.
since you are a light savvy, have you seen my new emblem?

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f5/166-sids-xb-2/

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sid said:
yeah, I just read your post on the other forum about that tab. googd thing you mentioned it, or i'll be wrestling with the bumper too! :)
I will surely post some pix, but not sure when i'll do the mod yet.
since you are a light savvy, have you seen my new emblem?

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f5/166-sids-xb-2/
Pardon my caps, I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just fudged mine up trying to do a mod to it. (check pics for all white base with no emblem) Where did you get it and can I get one too? (picture me jumping up and down like a kid in the candy isle) :eek:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dew said:
1,250 days :D
nice Lakers plate btw surf ;)
About three and a half years, not bad for a little bulb.

Go Lakers! (translation: please God give them the smarts to get another player who can work with Kobe) ;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Very sweet! Gottal love the blue lights! Thanks for the pix and write up.:)

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
About three and a half years, not bad for a little bulb.

Go Lakers! (translation: please God give them the smarts to get another player who can work with Kobe) ;)
yeah don't get me started. I don't want to thread jack this so I will insert something on topic. I still haven't fully gotten over the whole getting rid of Shaq thing. Slit thier own throats, we can't do anything with a one man team. I was shocked he passed as much as he did in the all star game lol. Nice light grille sid! Me Gusta! We need another dominating center again, we barely have a center as it is, but who know when that will happen :(

back to the lights! :D

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dew said:
yeah don't get me started. I don't want to thread jack this so I will insert something on topic. I still haven't fully gotten over the whole getting rid of Shaq thing. Slit thier own throats, we can't do anything with a one man team. I was shocked he passed as much as he did in the all star game lol. Nice light grille sid! Me Gusta! We need another dominating center again, we barely have a center as it is, but who know when that will happen :(

back to the lights! :D

This just in...you are soooooooooooooo right. Kobe is not a totally selfish player, he just needs to have someone who can shoot if he gives them the ball. Did you see Kobe dribble between Shaq's legs yesterday...ROTFLMAO! I'm flying up on the third of March to see them play the Warrior, it'll be good to see D. Fish in person again. It's turning out to be a really bad day, Ricky Williams failed a drug test, looking at a years suspension, my rear plate holder is Miami Dolphins. :( "We now return to the regularly scheduled thread already in progress..."

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
This just in...you are soooooooooooooo right. Kobe is not a totally selfish player, he just needs to have someone who can shoot if he gives them the ball. Did you see Kobe dribble between Shaq's legs yesterday...ROTFLMAO! I'm flying up on the third of March to see them play the Warrior, it'll be good to see D. Fish in person again. It's turning out to be a really bad day, Ricky Williams failed a drug test, looking at a years suspension, my rear plate holder is Miami Dolphins. :( "We now return to the regularly scheduled thread already in progress..."
yeah I miss Fish, not only was a he great player but a great guy and a great image for the Lakers to have.
Ricky failed again? isn't this like his fourth failure? lol

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dew said:
yeah I miss Fish, not only was a he great player but a great guy and a great image for the Lakers to have.
Ricky failed again? isn't this like his fourth failure? lol

Yup. :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
They look good!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.