Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean my old turbo? Is there some kind of spray or dip? I wanted to clean it up so it would look good for selling. The compressor side is good, but the turbo side has lots of carbon deposit and the turbine is black and covered with oil, the blades do look intact...or am I just wasting my time? :confused:

·
Registered
974 Posts
preacherboy said:
What is the best way to clean my old turbo? Is there some kind of spray or dip? I wanted to clean it up so it would look good for selling. The compressor side is good, but the turbo side has lots of carbon deposit and the turbine is black and covered with oil, the blades do look intact...or am I just wasting my time? :confused:
There really isn't a good way to do it unless you disassemble it.

If a buyer knows what he is looking at they won't be concerned with how dirty it is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can I say "Dishwasher" works good on old EGR valves.

Scott

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I want to bother disassembling it. But I suppose you are right about whoever is going to buy it will know what to look for either way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lemme ask you something...before you go bothering cleaning it up, is there any shaft play on the turbo..can you wiggle the impeller at all?? If its tight like a virgin then you are good to go but if its moving at all toss it in the garbage

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it matter if I check the shaft play from the compressor side? Or does it have to be on the turbo side?

·
Registered
131 Posts
if its got movement on one end its gonna have movement on the other

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's what I thought. I'll have to check and post my results here. Also I think I'll post some pics so you guys can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That buildup on the exhaust is only slightly more than normal. I'd say if you are really obsessed with cleaning it up a little bit before you sell it then just take a wire brush and some Simple Green to the exhaust side of it and you will be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.