Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I hear a lot about using clay to clean the cars, so I thought I would get an idea of what brand is the best. What have you used and what do you recommend for a first time user of clay?

Thanks for your input!:p

·
Registered
546 Posts
I personally like the mothers clay bar...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
BigWill184 said:
I personally like the mothers clay bar...
^^^^^^^ Me too. I just used it on my windshield for the first time this weekend, worked great. I use it on my Blazer body twice a year, cool stuff!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a long process? Not sure how to use clay, but I have seen it done on a little section. Guess I should block off half the day for this right?

BTW, thanks for the tip, I will try Mother's Clay.:D

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Not too long, just do one panel at a time. Clay bar one and wax it. Clay bar another while the wax dries on the other. Just go back and forth so you don't have to wait all day for the wax to dry.

Just don't do the whole car at once, you will get bored very fast. Switching things up will make for a less boring job.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
One nice thing about doing clay is you can do it at night. If you have a garage you can clay the car inside at night and then wax it the next day. Just remember...you MUST wax the car after you have clayed it. The process takes off all the oxidation but also takes off all the old wax as well. Don't leave your paint unprotected.

·
Registered
144 Posts
almost any clay will work. just be sure it's a non-abraisive clay...and use lots of lube with it!! (wow that line is handy in so many ways..)

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
I use the clay while I wash - kills alot of time and no need for the spray - the soapy film works as a lubricant getting the same results

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Anyone used the new "Liquid claybar" from Turtle wax?

I haven't tried it but I usually stay away from products that make it that much "easier" to do the job. I really like the bar type.

·
On here once in a while!
547 Posts
^^^I saw that product at Walmart but I opted for the Mother's Clay Bar instead. Good thing I did cause most of you gave it great reviews...:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have used the following clay kit made by meguiars

Smooth Surface™ Clay Kit

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Clay%20Bars.htm

Here are some suggestions to get the most out of claying your car

1) Wash it first with a kitchen type dish soap to remove as much of the old wax as possible

2) I suggest claying your car in the garage our in the shade to avoid direct sunlight

3) Take a brand new clay bar and tear off around 1/3 of the bar and shape it into a shape that will fit your hand well such as a small panckae around 1/4 inch thick.

4) Use plenty lubericant on the area you plan on claying.

5) Only clay a small area at each time. If you notice dirt in the clay fold it back into a ball and then reshape it again and keep claying

6) When you start claying an area you will notice some slight resistance as you move the clay bar back and forth or in a circular motion you will notice it will start moving easier as it removes the debris from the surface of the car. When the surface feel like glass as you move the clay bar back and forth that area should be clean

7) If you happen to drop the clay bar on the ground or any other dirty surface throw it away and tear off a new piece. Othewise you could scratch your paint if there is debris or major dirt in the bar as you rub it back and forth

8) When you are finished claying just wipe off the residue with a microfiber type towel and begin to wax your car

Even brand new cars need to be clayed in most cases.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Stay tuned, as I will be reviewing thee products in the next couple weeks.

Turtle Wax® ICE® Car Wash
Turtle Wax® ICE® Paste Polish
Turtle Wax® ICE® Liquid Clay Bar
Turtle Wax® ICE® Foam Away

:D ;)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
haha I try. Naw Turtle Wax is hooking me up so I thought Id rep for them a little bit. Are your neighbors thinkin abbout getting Turtle Wax now at least? lol

Scotty

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You can try it on mine if you want. Never hurts your reps right ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess based on my post you might think I work for Meguiars or Auto Detailing Solutions :)

But I don't I just really like Meguiars products and Auto Detailing Solutions has good prices.

Other people like Mothers brand etc.

I would suspect Turtle Wax products are less expensive and if they do a great job them go for it

Oh yeah my neighbors said to say hello :eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I picked up the Ice Liquid Clay Bar over the weekend. It's not bad for removing old wax, dead bugs and tar, but it really doesn't and shouldn't replace a good clay bar. I would recommend it for a quick clean up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.