Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hook A bother UP ! ( to a 2" receiver )

I recently got my '09 5 spd xB that I have put 1,500 miles on in a month.
Sad to see that there is NO TOW rating from Scion , but I wanted to do some light - med towing , ( 500lb motorcycle + 300lb trailer) and use a bike and ski carrier .

I had a Reese Universal hitch ( model #37042 ) that I was gonna mount on my old Caravan,but never got around to mounting . got mine lightly used on Craigslist , but I'm seeing these advertised for about 100$ Plus the wiring harness ( 50$ ) and a ball mount and ball and pin ( 30$ )

I eyeballed the fit , and it looked like it should all go together ok ! Last weekend I got the xB up on the lift at my buddy's garage to do the install.

Everything lines up fine, You can re-used the tow loop bolts, in the stock threaded holes in the rear frame horns , You'll have to get 2 more for the other side at the local hardware. I brought the loop bolts and matched them up. We unhooked the muffler from the mounting donut to give some extra space to work with, this really helped .

It looked like pretty close clearance between the mounting plate and the muffler. The muffler has about 3 inches total of lateral play on the rubber hanger. If the muffler had flexed all the way left, it may have had some vibration interference, so we clearanced a 1 x 4 inch notch in the bottom of the top plate using his cutting torch. This may not have been necessary , but I don't think it weakened anything ...

Everything else bolted together fine using the Reese hardware.
This job would have been do-able in the driveway , but the lift made
it a lot easier , I'd suggest at least use ramps to get clearance

So after a week of driving , my observations :

No extra rattles , or noise .

Good solid mounts , easy to access the receiver
though it does sit about 2 inches recessed behind the bumper
no cutting required on the bodywork

I have towed my trailer just around the neighborhood so far. As expected
plenty of power, and tows straight and true. I haven't rec'd my Curt wiring kit yet , so haven't had a chance to take it on the Hiway yet.
But I'll report back soon with Hiway Speed / Hills performance ,
and more pics.

I found a nice solid Allen 554 hitch mount bike rack at WallyMart
Ski racks next winter.

Now about that 34' Airstream Soverign I've had my eye on ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice set-up! I ready somewhere that the Scion xB's weren't supposed to be used for towing. I have Jet Skis and a Sea Doo and would love to tow with my xB.

BTW, I do have a Class II hitch on my '10 xB for my bike rack. The Class II is rated high enough for my trailer and water toys.

Definitely interested in how the towing goes for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
...The Class II is rated high enough for my trailer and water toys...
Oops, just noticed my typo. It should read. "The Class II is not rated high enough..." I have to figure out a way to get my brain and fingers to agree :eek: !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice set-up! I ready somewhere that the Scion xB's weren't supposed to be used for towing. I have Jet Skis and a Sea Doo and would love to tow with my xB.

BTW, I do have a Class II hitch on my '10 xB for my bike rack. The Class II is rated high enough for my trailer and water toys.

Definitely interested in how the towing goes for you.
Where did you get your class II hitch for your xb, i plan on using one for my bike as well

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased my hitch from etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Scion_xB.htm
I'm using a Yakima Kingpin 2 bike rack (purchased about 18 mos ago).

·
Registered
637 Posts
The question is not what you can attach to a hitch on your xB, or what hitch you can identify to "support" it. It's a question of what hitch your xB can safely support and what loads can safely attach to it! The U.S. seems very eager with class action lawsuits designed to move the responsibility of intelligence from the purchaser to the seller, but at what point does the purchaser have to take responsibility for one's own purchases? Well, given the U.S. judicial system as it stands, it's not clear to me the purchaser has to be more than a complete zero (which clearly many are). But as an enthusiast, I hope my own decision making is at least able to achieve a one step higher level.

"Human" beings have an incredible capacity for ignorance, arrogance, violence (both sexual and non) and general disregard for others in society -- my evidence being my local newspaper and it's reporting of events both local and worldwide :(. I'd like to install a hitch on my own xB2, but it's clear the towing capabilities are uncertain and that the hitch "class" can be misleading. Guess I'll have towait a little longer to see where things fall, but I see little hope of Toyota specifying limits beyond those already specified - -what's the point in opening oneself up to still further lawsuits?

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
Curtis Class II, some suppliers don't list the 2010, it is the same as the 2009.

AND....I'm sure the XB2 is NOT rated to haul 400#s of Gravel, but it will:

:D:D:D

·
Usual Suspect
1,149 Posts
That's a Motobecane Outcast 29er, I got it off EBay a few years ago. $329 at the time. The gearing is ment to go 7-14mph......slower is painful faster is useless. Perfect for roading my dogs.

Now back to hitches.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Curtis Class II, some suppliers don't list the 2010, it is the same as the 2009.
From my own hitch research, it seems like the Class II is desirable for the xB2. On the negative side, it implies greater load limits than the xB2 can probably safely accomodate, but on the positive side, it opens the door to a variety of hitch attachments that could be genuinely useful (if used with reasonable circumspection.) The Curtis Class II seems a really good choice, but make sure your brain is fully engaged in evaluating the suitability for any given load for the car that will be trying to safely draw it. Lawyers and lawsuits don't offset stupidity on the part of the purchaser -- at least IMO. And damn, there's more than plenty of stupidity out there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just ran across this link on hitches: Receiver Hitch Selection Guide

Regarding attachments -- most accessories are 2", but adapters are available for Class II hitches. Just make certain there's no danger of your application exceeding the vehicle's safe limits. Strictly speaking, Class I is probably about right for the xB2 in terms of load capacity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1000 lbs feels OK to me

I agree with the 1000 lb capacity , that's my target weight
I have now towed with the 300lb trailer, and a 450lb street bike
Everything felt smooth and stable up to 60mph on the local hiway
In braking I could feel the difference , but still got straight linear stops .
I Haven't tried any long pulls yet , still just a 15 mile shakeout made me feel confident that a longet excursion is very do-able .
Again, I have a 5 spd , but if an had an automatic, I would look into a trans cooler

Toughest pull I remember doing was tahing my buddies 4 cyl S10 pulling 2 sleds up rt 302 through Crawford Notch NH ,
We were going 35mph at the top and had a funky bad smell comin out of the thing after stopping at Fabian Station, he STILL got another 100,000 k out of the old beast EVEN AFTER THAT !

I'll let you all know how my xB goes up the same road with the 1000 lb load
I Think she'll still be pulling 50mph in 4th at the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Allen bike rack

Just got a nice 4 place bike rack from my local Wally Mart ( 50$ open box )
An Allen 545rr
It Works fine, no rattles , good clearance with bikes in place , can access hatch and no problem-oh with rack in place :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Class II Curt with a Hollywood Bike Rack. I love the setup!
I have a Hollywood bike rack chilling in the garage. I loved it on my Element (is that a dirty word here? LOL). Glad to know a hitch can be mounted on the xB.

I used a hitch and bike rack on my ford focus hatchback - If that POS can handle it, the xB should be able to :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
does anybody know if you can get a hitch with a 2" receiver for the 2012 xb? all i see it the 1.5# receiver and i already have a bike rack that requires the 2" receiver.
thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
does anybody know if you can get a hitch with a 2" receiver for the 2012 xb? all i see it the 1.5# receiver and i already have a bike rack that requires the 2" receiver.
thanks!
If all you want to do is support a bicycle or two, just install a Class II hitch with a 1.5" to 2" tongue adapter. If you insist on a Class III hitch, yes, there's at least one available, but I think the Curt Class II is more low key in appearance and is closer to the actual tow capability of the vehicle (though still a little high).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.