Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know round about how much it would cost to chop a top on an xB? And if you have any pics of chopped tops post them here.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
The box in your pic is a photochop only - just wanted to clarify.

You would have some deep pockets to get a chop done correctly....cutting windws, altering the window channels....not to mention whe cutting/welding and re-paint.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Has anyone other than Five Axis done a chop top on a box? I've only seen Photoshopped versions. But in addition to what Keith said, I would think you'd have to do some major reinforcing before taking the sawsall to the top.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Dion, I think the flat black one with white & black wires at Sema had a chop, or was it just a panel wagon?.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have an affinity for panel wagons and while I can do without those horrid wire wheels I do love the way this one turned out.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Thanks Chris and Dave, I stand corrected. Truthfully, I haven't seen any pics from SEMA....

*Hangs head in shame*

But, I do like that box, wire wheels and all!! Plus, you gotta love that "California Suede" paint job!!! Old skool rules!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Come on Dion, get with it! ;)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
1OFFRIDES my install shop has done a full assessment on this topic for the Scionpro Taxi....the answer big bucks! With the custom glass cutting and fab along with about 5,000 for a show finish paint job wholesale costs should be around 12,000 with full retail costs running up to 18,000. The entire car has to be gutted and then a sub support frame welded in place prior to cutting. The front posts have to be leaned back,sectioned and extended. all the door frames have to be cut down and all the tracks and travel adjusted. then there is the question of the rear door ....do you cut the chop from the top for the short glass look or section the bottom of the door leaving the full glass look?. Heres a hint the new 2008 xB looks chopped! The roof line is 4 inches shorter/lower than present along with a nearly 7 inch wider stance. it is pretty sinister looking. Scion has been listening and did the job for you already! I was in Miami at the reveal,spoke to the engineers and receive info on a regular basis from way up the Scion chain. I cant wait to sell these at my dealership! (I am however,forever loyal to the original design.)

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Contact me if you want computer generated help for the Taxi Chop

1OFFRIDES my install shop has done a full assessment on this topic for the Scionpro Taxi....the answer big bucks! With the custom glass cutting and fab along with about 5,000 for a show finish paint job wholesale costs should be around 12,000 with full retail costs running up to 18,000. The entire car has to be gutted and then a sub support frame welded in place prior to cutting. The front posts have to be leaned back,sectioned and extended. all the door frames have to be cut down and all the tracks and travel adjusted. then there is the question of the rear door ....do you cut the chop from the top for the short glass look or section the bottom of the door leaving the full glass look?. Heres a hint the new 2008 xB looks chopped! The roof line is 4 inches shorter/lower than present along with a nearly 7 inch wider stance. it is pretty sinister looking. Scion has been listening and did the job for you already! I was in Miami at the reveal,spoke to the engineers and receive info on a regular basis from way up the Scion chain. I cant wait to sell these at my dealership! (I am however,forever loyal to the original design.)

If you decide you want to go ahead with this let me know and we can work out a consulting deal. I am able to do what ever body mods you want on the computer and generate the dimensions, angles and best of all templates for the glass. This is part of the new company I am starting with a coworker. We have extensive Computer Aided Design and Engineering experience. We also have prototype sheemetal experience. Throwing that out there for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow thats cool .... is it hard? I am currently going to school for Mechanical CADD this is my 4th year. What programs do you use? Inventor? AutoCad?

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Yeah, take the highest estimate you get. This will probably get you the highest quality you can get. And look into the shop's resume regarding chopping tops. I doubt anyone has done more than one xB, and you dont want to be the guy (or girl) they learn on. In my opinion it it very possible to build one as a promo or a show car, but so much more difficult to do a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Since no one has posted it yet

Here’s the Five Axis xB from the show this past Sunday:

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
TJ: Well, I'm glad I have a better idea what the new xB looks like! Guh, you guys that went to Miami, how come you didn't hide a minicam in a button or something?

OT: A chopped xB would be sick. Expensive but very sick. When I first sat in my xB 2 years ago, that was the first thing that came to mind.....Then came ALL the work that would be involved. I think it's cheaper to just pull the whole top off, like someone else did who is on this site.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
RE; Miami

They used frequency scanners as well as metal detectors.They also had plain clothes undercover everywhere just blending in. That place was locked down tighter than Fort Knox!

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
wow thats cool .... is it hard? I am currently going to school for Mechanical CADD this is my 4th year. What programs do you use? Inventor? AutoCad?
My list of software is pretty extensive:

CATIA, UG, ANSA, NASTRAN, GENESIS, LS-DYNA, FLUENT, STAR-CD, UH3D, RADTHERM, GT-POWER, Sculptor, Modefrontier to name the more common ones I use.

I have been in the industry since 1999 and have worked on almost every Chrysler product between 2000 and 2005. I am now working on every Ford Vehicle to come out in the next three years.

I know that the xb can be chopped but as someone else said it is trial and error when you are the first one. Doing it on the computer saves you time, money and frustrations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.