Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i PICKED UP the shocks last weekend, i'm going to install them saturday when I get a free half hour, i'll post my review up here after that...but yeah, now my gf and other passengers get nautious with all the bumps the xbox produces. so hopefully this will result in less motion sickness. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
so if i buy Progess Springs.. Drop: F 1.8"/R 1.5" .. then what shocks Monroe part # would i need?
 

·
Rubmeister
Joined
·
453 Posts
The Monroe rear shocks (Echo ones, not the airbag ones) are actually shorter than the stock xB ones, around an inch or so. Less travel too.

I just did the rears, and it's a major improvement. I have a 1.7in Tein S-Tech drop and they work well together. I imagine anything from H-techs to DF's would also work. With coilovers like Zachs I might go for the shortened units tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
BoxerRebellion said:
The Monroe rear shocks (Echo ones, not the airbag ones) are actually shorter than the stock xB ones, around an inch or so. Less travel too.
so if i get the rear monroe shocks for an Echo they will be the shorter ones. just clarifing
 

·
TEAM RED CUP
Joined
·
278 Posts
BoxerRebellion said:
The Monroe rear shocks (Echo ones, not the airbag ones) are actually shorter than the stock xB ones, around an inch or so. Less travel too.

I just did the rears, and it's a major improvement. I have a 1.7in Tein S-Tech drop and they work well together. I imagine anything from H-techs to DF's would also work. With coilovers like Zachs I might go for the shortened units tho.
so did your car drop any lower? If you could would you go to the shorter one (#5870)? according to the Napa guy here he said the part numbers coincide with the length, so i'm wondering if there is a like maybe a #5880? Please let me know, i gotta order these shocks, they dont keep um in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I have read here and on other forums about replacing the rear shocks with Monroe shocks but I have seem two different numbers mentioned.
Sensa-Trac
front - 71575
rear - 5987 Compressed Length:16.000"
Extended length:26.250"
rear - 5870 Compressed Length:14.250"
Extended length:23.875"
Which would be the prefered one to just soften the ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I did some looking around on the web and found where the 5987 Monroe shocks had been installed on the rear of an xB and the guy had used the dust cover from the stock shocks as the 5987 does'nt come with one. He had measured the length and it was the same as the OEM shocks. I ordered them from a local NAPA shop for ($31.49) $5.00 less and no shipping charge. Taxes is all that would be added.
NAPAwants $36.49
For xB's that have been lowered you may want to try the 5870 which is about 2" shorter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
theelf said:
I did some looking around on the web and found where the 5987 Monroe shocks had been installed on the rear of an xB and the guy had used the dust cover from the stock shocks as the 5987 does'nt come with one. He had measured the length and it was the same as the OEM shocks. I ordered them from a local NAPA shop for ($31.49) $5.00 less and no shipping charge. Taxes is all that would be added.
NAPAwants $36.49
For xB's that have been lowered you may want to try the 5870 which is about 2" shorter.
so with a 2" drop all the way around.. part #5870 would be the part to get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Ordered Monday from local NAPA store. They called Wednesday and said they were in so I picked them up that afternoon. I put them on this morning; took about 40 minutes. Can't believe how much the ride improved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
theelf said:
Ordered Monday from local NAPA store. They called Wednesday and said they were in so I picked them up that afternoon. I put them on this morning; took about 40 minutes. Can't believe how much the ride improved.
is your ride lowered? I want to do all my suspension at once.. drop it with progress springs.. rear sway bar and shocks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
It took 10 minutes and $60 for the 5870 and for my 3+" drop the back is killer now. I just need the fronts. Anyone know of a shortened lower mounting point, like a drop spindle. I'm never going to be low enough.
 
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top