Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, the stock shocks SUCK, doesnt help that i've got a drop either, lol...can somebody recomend some somewhat CHEAP shocks that'll smoothen up the ride? Right now i've got an 1 1/2 inch drop (on espelirs, I think)...and stock wheels...people in the back usually complain with every bump I hit....lol

Thanks.
:)
Jeff

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hotbox05 said:
he's lookin for shocks not springs. go to napa and get the shortened monroe units.
Thanks, yeah I read his reply from my cell but cant post.

So the monroe ones, how are they price wise, and do they do wonders to the ride quality?

Thanks. :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
276 Posts
they are rather cheap and will provide a better ride quality because the shock is actually shortened and not compressed by the suspension. someone is floating on here with th exact part number but I will try and find it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
wackblackxb said:
dud ei have hurred the same thing, i am just putting my air ride together and that is what i am going with,napa part number # 5870.(it will make it so you can go a inch lower

he ya go check it out and post the price.. I dont have a NAPA around me to call

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
hotbox05 said:
he's lookin for shocks not springs. go to napa and get the shortened monroe units.
Well i'm an idiot!

·
Registered
12 Posts
the shocks do drop it lower? are you sure its an inch? if someone gets the price post it i been lookin for a way to get lower the tanabe df210's didi real well but need that extra lil bit:)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jpscion said:

awesome, thanks for the info...do the shocks really drop it lower? shoot, i was gonna get df210's, but i guess i'll just keep my espelirs and put these babys on, lol, but do they really drop it lower?

anyways, going to napa.com now to find a price..will post back in a min if they have one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jpscion said:

Hmmm: part 5870, are you SURE this is it? this is just a shock absorber...
Shock Absorber - Sensa-Trac - Rear
Usually ships in 24 hours.
5870 $31.99

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NS&PartNumber=5870&Description=Shock+Absorber+-+Sensa-Trac+-+Rear

Also:

Shop NAPAonline
Keyword Search

Keyword Search >> monroe

No keywords were found that matches "".

·
Registered
612 Posts
Monroe Sensa-tracs for 2003 Toyota Echo
shocks #5987 $30ea
struts #71575 $55ea

These shocks are not shorter, but have completely different dampening than than the stock shocks. I've heard you can just replace the rear shocks, and the ride will improve dramatically.

I actually went back to stock springs recently and replaced my shocks and struts with these Monroes. I can't remember what the stock ride was like, but I do know that there is no more bucking and bouncing over uneven pavement. It may even be slightly smoother too. I think body lean is same as stock as well.

Using the Monroes with lowering springs should be OK too. I know some people have used them with mild drop springs (1-1.5 inches), not sure about 2" drop springs. For $60, it should be cheap experiement.

There is a shorter shock that the air ride people use, but I don't have any experience with it: Monroe #5870

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stankubrick said:
shocks #5987 $30ea
struts #71575 $55ea

These shocks are not shorter, but have completely different dampening than than the stock shocks. I've heard you can just replace the rear shocks, and the ride will improve dramatically.

I actually went back to stock springs recently and replaced my shocks and struts with these Monroes. I can't remember what the stock ride was like, but I do know that there is no more bucking and bouncing over uneven pavement. It may even be slightly smoother too. I think body lean is same as stock as well.

Using the Monroes with lowering springs should be OK too. I know some people have used them with mild drop springs (1-1.5 inches), not sure about 2" drop springs. For $60, it should be cheap experiement.

There is a shorter shock that the air ride people use, but I don't have any experience with it: Monroe #5870
awesome, i've only got an 1.5 inch drop...so I think i'll have to pick these up when I get paid....course i cant do crap myself, so i'll have to pay somebody to install them, lol, but yeah..thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
ok so right now i got cheap coilovers and was thinking of changing shocks. so i should get the 5870.. instead of the 5987. probably dropped about 3 inches or so. maybe a little lower...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I ran across this post. Over the weekend, I ordered a set of Tenzo R lowering springs for the xA, like they have at scionspecialties.net. I might have to pick up the Monroe shocks as well for the rear. Will it be OK to not replace the struts at the same time?

Not sure yet if I want to lower the xB, gotta decide if I want to do any SCCA in it, and then if I want to switch classes by having suspension mods...

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stankubrick said:
shocks #5987 $30ea
struts #71575 $55ea

QUOTE]

So can anybody confirm or deny that these shocks will/will not work on an xb with a 1.5 inch drop? And do i NEED the struts with them? What the hell ARE struts anyways, LOL (at least I admit my lack of knowledge)

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
any standard echo/scion shock will work on a lowered car. you should use the 5870 if you are more than 1 inch shorter. the less compressed teh shock is the longer it will last and better it will perform.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hotbox05 said:
any standard echo/scion shock will work on a lowered car. you should use the 5870 if you are more than 1 inch shorter. the less compressed teh shock is the longer it will last and better it will perform.
Thanks that helps out

·
Registered
354 Posts
TattedXB said:
What the hell ARE struts anyways, LOL (at least I admit my lack of knowledge)
Your front suspension on the Scion the whole piece that holds the front spring is a strut. looks kinda like this

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Resolve said:
Your front suspension on the Scion the whole piece that holds the front spring is a strut. looks kinda like this

AH nice, thanks..yeah i just got into cars somewhat about 2 years ago when i got my xb, so i'm still learning..slowly, lol
so should i get new struts too? or should the new shocks for the rear be sufficient?

Jeff

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your on a budget, just get the rears first - they're much easier to install too. It's the stiff dampening of the stock rears that's causing all the bounciness. The Monroes are softer on compression.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.