Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Some of you may know I just purchased my xB on July 25th of this yr. Well this week I finally broke her in. Shes at 1100 miles right now.

I was thinking about switching to syn oil. Should I change my Oil now to syn even tho I only have 1100 miles on the car.. Or should I wait for my 3 k service????

What did you guys do when switching to syn oil... ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't switched over yet since I just got my Salsa Red xB in late July but I run Synthetic in our '98 Lincoln Continental.which we bought it used with 35k miles on it.

I transitioned it by using a "Blend" first and the next oil change went to full synthetic.

The milage increased from 17 mpg to 21 mpg in town and to around 26 mpg on the highway with the best being 29 mpg.

With the price of gas it was well worth it.

I'll do the same for the xB when it's due probably around 5k

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you guys just change or did a engine flush. From what I have done in the past is just on the next oil change I changed to syn.

But I wanted to get it done early so that my car is on syn oil from the start....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lil_Red_Toaster said:
I haven't switched over yet since I just got my Salsa Red xB in late July but I run Synthetic in our '98 Lincoln Continental.which we bought it used with 35k miles on it.

I transitioned it by using a "Blend" first and the next oil change went to full synthetic.

The milage increased from 17 mpg to 21 mpg in town and to around 26 mpg on the highway with the best being 29 mpg.

With the price of gas it was well worth it.

I'll do the same for the xB when it's due probably around 5k
Are you planning to do a blend first then full syn.. or just change to full syn on your next service??? I noticed your in covina.. I am also.. Where abouts are you??

·
Registered
179 Posts
solara2xb said:
Did you guys just change or did a engine flush. From what I have done in the past is just on the next oil change I changed to syn.

But I wanted to get it done early so that my car is on syn oil from the start....
I would wait another 2-3k miles before switching to snythetic. You dont want to break in your new motor with synthetic. Give it about 4-5k miles before switching. When switching, just drain the oil and put synthetic in. There is no special way to switch it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cant go wrong with the the OEM filter. There are only 3 oils and filters I use. Either OEM, Supertech or Mobil 1. As for the filter I recommend the toyota one. The part number is 08922-02002. Supertech makes a great filter also and is dirt cheap. Its much better than Fram or other filters I have seen. The part number is ST4967 on that. Good luck :) Supertech is Walmarts oil which used to be made by Quaker State. It has since changed and is being made by Warren. I still use their regular and synthetic oils with no problems at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dont overlook the ST (supertech) filters too guys. Dont be fooled by the fact that they are sold at Walmart stores and half the cost of other filters. Supertech filters are made by Champion labs who also make some of the finest stuff on the market today (American Bosch, Mobil 1 filters, STP, K&N, AC Delco etc.) I cant tell you how many times people ask my "wtf are you putting that crap on your car??"...:D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lil_Red_Toaster said:
Like rollhard said, I'll wait until I have 5K then just switch to straight synthetic. Just make sure you use a good oil filter.

After reading several posts on several forums about oil filters I'll probably use a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Solara2xb, I'm over by Charter Oak HS, just down the street from the Greek church.
Oh wow.. your very close by me.. I went to charter oak HS...
I'm close to Banna and arrow hwy...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK... look like I will wait till 5k miles. Would it be safe to do it at 3k miles?? Since I do my oil changes every 3k... or should I just do my first oil change at 5k miles..

·
Registered
6 Posts
rollhard said:
Dont overlook the ST (supertech) filters too guys. Dont be fooled by the fact that they are sold at Walmart stores and half the cost of other filters. Supertech filters are made by Champion labs who also make some of the finest stuff on the market today (American Bosch, Mobil 1 filters, STP, K&N, AC Delco etc.) I cant tell you how many times people ask my "wtf are you putting that crap on your car??"...:D
I forgot that Champion Labs was the manufacturer of most of the better rated oil filters.

Thanks rollhard

·
Registered
6 Posts
solara2xb said:
Oh wow.. your very close by me.. I went to charter oak HS...
I'm close to Banna and arrow hwy...
There's a local "Scinergy Nationwide" meeting tonight at 7:00 at Glendora SCION : http://scinergyie.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2703

I'm going to try to make it if I can get out of the office on time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you guys get a chance, go out to the Scinergy meeting in Glendora. They guys and gals there are great. Youll probably get to meet johnny, arguably one of the nicest people youll ever meet. I just wish it wasnt 30 minutes opposite of the direction of where I need to go.:(

·
Registered
322 Posts
So what do you guys think about the Amsoil and Royal Purple stuff?

I was thinking about using the royal purple stuff throughout the car. They have oil and tranny fluid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
fcastle said:
So what do you guys think about the Amsoil and Royal Purple stuff?

I was thinking about using the royal purple stuff throughout the car. They have oil and tranny fluid.
They make some good stuff. But I stick to what has worked on my commuters and all out 700hp cars. Mobil 1 or ST.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.