Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to change the color of the bulb behind the knobs i want them to be green and didnt feel like wiring in led bulbs

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You can use several methods. Some work better than others. I have tried two of them and the LED swap by far works the best.

1. Use a sharpie to color the bulbs after removing the factory "bulb condoms".

2. Use colored "bulb condoms" that can be found at places like Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

3. Wire in two LED's with the color of your choice. (this is the way i did it)

Just in case you're not up on the process:

1. Remove center trim piece
2. Remove wire connectors (3) from the back of the trim piece.
3. Remove the cream colored center piece on the back of the trim piece.
4. Remove the bulb holders and then modify the bulbs per your choice.

Good luck.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
to get to all the lights behind the center dash, where are the points to take it off? and can I remove the center dash piece with the c/f overlay on or do i have to mess with removing the overlay first? I've been wanting to change the whole dash to light red instead of that orange color

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Remove the three knobs for the A/C controls. You will find two screws holding the center trim piece on. Remove those screws then grasp the two bottom edges of the center trim piece. Pull them towards you and the piece will come loose. There are two more connect points at the top of the center piece, pull down on those and the center piece will be loose from the dash. The carbon fiber overlay does not need to be removed, it's permanately attached to the center trim piece.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
ah, the screws are behind the knobs. that's alllll I needed to know *insert evil grinning smiley here*

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
if ya want the actual knob to be a different color check out these guys.
www.mrkgroup.net
you have to look under toyota.

·
Registered
178 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
You can use several methods. Some work better than others. I have tried two of them and the LED swap by far works the best.

1. Use a sharpie to color the bulbs after removing the factory "bulb condoms".

2. Use colored "bulb condoms" that can be found at places like Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

3. Wire in two LED's with the color of your choice. (this is the way i did it)

Just in case you're not up on the process:

1. Remove center trim piece
2. Remove wire connectors (3) from the back of the trim piece.
3. Remove the cream colored center piece on the back of the trim piece.
4. Remove the bulb holders and then modify the bulbs per your choice.

Good luck.
Any pics of the finished product that you can share with us

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I have the bulb condoms on mine.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
STICK 1NZ said:
Any pics of the finished product that you can share with us
I do but they are on my computer at home. I'm on my laptop in the company truck right now. I'll post them when I get home. Right after pizza and Survivor.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thanks for the info, I want to change mine to blue. Can't wait to see the pix!:)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I used the bulb condom the first time I did the color change but I wasn't happy with the amount of light that came through. I installed the blue led's and am happy with the results. The only problem is that blue doesn't penetrate red so the red portion of the temp knob doesn't light up.

A close up....

This link will take you to a page that explains the replacement of the led's. I didn't take pictures of the process, sorry to say.
http://www.oznium.com/corvette-led-door-switches.php

·
Registered
239 Posts
cant you just paint the ac knobs? instead of spending 25 bux to buy some

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Flecs said:
ya could paint them but the place to that link i posted has the knobs made of what ever color plastic. they aren't painted so even if ya scratch it the scratch won't show up.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Flecs said:

Yes, you can paint the knobs. Mine have been painted white. I used Krylon Fushion paint with a clear coat afterwards.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah... i wanna just paint em... no need to spend money when ya dont have too... is there any metalic krylon fusion colors?

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
Flecs said:
yeah... i wanna just paint em... no need to spend money when ya dont have too... is there any metalic krylon fusion colors?
i totaly agree with you a lot of my mods are DIY. just posted it for other who wouldn't want to hassle with the whole painting process.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Flecs said:
I'm not sure if Fushion comes in metallic but someone did mention on this site that Duplicolor has some nice metallic paints. The important thing is to use something that is made for plastics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont wanna paint the knobs i just wanna change the color behind it thanks for the info plus i havnt been able to find bulb condoms that are small enough to fit so i might just wire in leds

1 - 20 of 50 Posts