Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
i love my box
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys its the weekend so i figured i might as well do something to pass the time... and get a tan in the process... so here ya go i just painted my center counsel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Re: Center counsel

Me to. Gotta love Krylon.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Re: Center counsel

Came out really nice! It does set off the seats nicely.:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
So Tell Me You All What Is The Best Paint To Use? I Have A Yellow Box, What Would Be The Best Paint To Use And What Are The Steps To Painting These Items, Do You Have To Primer And Then Lay A Few Coats Of Paint Down Then Some Laquer Or Clear Coat?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used Krylon fusion paint from Wal-Mart. Did not use any primer just took off the peices and started spraying. Waited a couple hours put anothet coat on their. Then the next day I clear coated them. Easy job good luck post pics when you do it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
so krylon fusion paint hu....well i will for sure try it out when i get paid on the 15th, about how many cans did you need and how many coats of clear coat did you use?

·
i love my box
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it depends on what your planing on doing, for everything ive done so far (center counsole, nobs, and spring covers) ive only used 1 can which is like $5 or so. and for the clear coating i used i think 3 or 4 on the dials cause they get touched alot more then anything else. i think i used 2 coats of clear on the rest of it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
will the amount of coats of paint determine the overall effectiveness of appearance of the items painted? or is like 6 - 7 coats about right?

·
i love my box
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
honestly all i was trying to do was match it to my seat covers... i think i only did like 4-5 coats of paint on both the dials and the console. i think its the clear coat that would be more of a bonus to do in more coats cause thats whats keeping the actual paint protected. but this is really my first time painting anything and honestly it could of came out better... i didnt wait long enough to put it in and now have a nice finger print right under the left vent. so dont do what i did... and wait for the paint to dry fully

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used like 3 or 4 coats and about 2 or coat of clear coat I used gloss it would have been too shiny If I put more, but that got the job done just right for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ok, so what is the best or recommended amount of coats of paint, from what i gather it seems like 3 to 4 and what is best to use after, clear or acrylic for the finish?

·
i love my box
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i used "Krylon Fusion Acrylic Matte" it comes with a clear top, Taz actually suggested to use acrylic when i spoke to him (he knows alot!!) and with it i used about 3 coats just to make sure it was nice a covered

·
Registered
284 Posts
so you used "Krylon Fusion Acrylic Matte" ok, i am getting that for sure but in yellow since i have a yellow box, but what about for a clear coat finish, whats best to use after all the coats of paint

1 - 20 of 72 Posts