Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sciko
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I am putting this in the right place, if I didn't would you let me know.

I was reading a post on Scionati.com and one of the guys said that there wasn't a clearcoat on the Polor White xB's, and that's why you see so many chips in the paint on them. Is this true or is this just his guess? Can somebody help me out with this??

Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
526 Posts
06whtexb said:
I think that I am putting this in the right place, if I didn't would you let me know.

I was reading a post on Scionati.com and one of the guys said that there wasn't a clearcoat on the Polor White xB's, and that's why you see so many chips in the paint on them. Is this true or is this just his guess? Can somebody help me out with this??

Thanks Andrew
its bull cuz if you dont have a clear on there your car would get f**k up so fast and easy theres always a clear on cars or if it rains it will just take off the paint

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
:) I just wish toyota put a little thicker coat of clear coat on the front end. I ve had my TCM xb for 6months had like a bunch of little rock chips all over the front bumper . :D I dont now tho spent 80 dollars in paint materials and sanded the bumper back down reclearcoated 2 times :cool: Then went to Clearmask.com spent 300 dollars for the best investment . Clearguard works had a dump truck in front of me on the inerstate and a rock came flighing off:eek: hit the front of my bumper went to the next exit to take a look and was surprised it didnt even put a scratch on the bumper .So it payed for itselve :cool:

·
Sciko
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
madmaxb said:
:) I just wish toyota put a little thicker coat of clear coat on the front end. I ve had my TCM xb for 6months had like a bunch of little rock chips all over the front bumper . :D I dont now tho spent 80 dollars in paint materials and sanded the bumper back down reclearcoated 2 times :cool: Then went to Clearmask.com spent 300 dollars for the best investment . Clearguard works had a dump truck in front of me on the inerstate and a rock came flighing off:eek: hit the front of my bumper went to the next exit to take a look and was surprised it didnt even put a scratch on the bumper .So it payed for itselve :cool:

Yea I have seen them on a few cars around here....I just dont like that fact that there is the chance that it can turn to that ugly yellow color. my dad had one one his Corveete because he spent 3K on a paint job and then took it up Pikes Peak and there was not a chip in it, so he said he got his moneys worth out of it

·
Registered
67 Posts
azynboi03 said:
its bull cuz if you dont have a clear on there your car would get f**k up so fast and easy theres always a clear on cars or if it rains it will just take off the paint
Not true. Many car companies still use single stage paint without clear coat, but only on non-metallic finishes. Not saying that's what Toyota does because I haven't looked into it, but not all automotive paints have a clear coat.

It would be easy to tell because any type of cleaner compound used on the paint would leave a bit of the paint color on the rag. I guess you'd have to use a rag other than white to tell on PW :p

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The paint on our PW's is indeed a clear coat color. The paint code is 068, it's a two stage paint with the white being the base/primer coat and the clear coat as a sealant. I have purchaced the paint for my Box and it's two different cans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There you go!

·
Sciko
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK to put the whole clearcoat rumor on the PW's to rest. I just called Toyota and the lady said the all but the RS's have a 2 step clearcoat and the RS's have the 3 step. She also said that I can go to a Toyota Body shop and have the chips in the paint fixed under the 5-year Paint and something else I can't think of it right now warrenty. So that makes me a bit happier.

hayalex6--- I have seen a few PW's get a bit of a yellow tint with age, so its not just you

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
hayalex6 said:
is it just me, or does it seem that the PW color turn yellow as it ages?
If you don't keep it clayed and waxed it will turn like all whites. The same oxidation that turns a silver car grey or a black car ash will turn a white paint job yellow. Keep it clean, clayed and waxed it will last a long time. My Blazer has 260,000 miles on it and it still looks white. It's a '92.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.