Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.

So far, i've got myself a stock box.
One of the first things i want to mod is a carputer.
I've checked out MP3Car.com to do my homework and saw that there are several xBs on there and have looked at thier setup, however i still have a good amount of homework to do.

I figured i would start this thread for anybody who has a Carputer setup that they would like to show off. I will post up my progress here when i get the funds to start my purchasing and setup.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I know Dave Moulton (ToyXbox) and Freddy (AutoFashion) have them. I think they do everything but make a martini! Keep us posted, this may be the hottest mod yet........ logging into ClubxB for your box! :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm going to use an ITX board from via, and i've seen a setup where they fit all the hardware under the dash. it seems nice that it doesn't take up any room that could otherwise be used for something else, but i might be concerned about the thermal issues from the vents that are right next to it.
an alternative is to find a case and mount it under the passenger seat (lots of space) but i haven't shopped for cases yet.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yep, Dave Moulton and Freddy w/ Autofashion are the ebst bets for that sort of info. I know Dave had his in the planning stages for over a year and a half.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally I was going to do a CarPC and had 90% of the parts I needed to complete the project. Travla makes some nice cases. I did look at the specs of the Opus as the power supply but one that caught my eye was the one from Carnetix. Theirs has a option for a second power output to provide regulated power to the screen so it does not get overloaded. This is handy if you haev a Lilliput screen and don't want to use the egg regulator that comes with it.

Maybe one day I'll get the urge to complete it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't remember the exact costs because I have been swapping pieces around between thinking about the CarPC and when bored setting up a small quiet home theater pc. The parts have been collecting for about 2 years now.

The motherboard is a Via Epia motherboard. It came out right before the Nehima (spelling) processor and has never been seen for sale since. The modern Epia motherboards should perform better than what I have.

The case I bought for it is a Travla C137 with the 90W power supply. With the power brick external on this model it would be easier to remove the PC from the car and bring it in the house for maintenance. Carnetix at the time I was looking was in the final stages of completing a power supply for this case. I never did buy the power supply but that was the last piece to the puzzle.

The one piece I would change out of the parts I bought would be the lilliput monitor. If I had the money I would buy a Xenarc. The lilliput had alot of glare issues when I tried it in the car hooked to a laptop and occasionally would show the Jarasic Park logo when the video signal got scrambled on boot. Yes at the time I bought mine the screens Lilliput used were rumored to come out of pachenco (spelling) machines.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Brian is the Nor*Cal computer expert!

Welcome Brian!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Here is the picture of the case Dewmerz has... i dont know if he has the silver one but it looks pretty nice

These carpc's are pretty expensive

150 for the motherboard and another 150 just for the case and thats without hard drive and other goodies. Thats alot for going back in time as far as processor speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, its not cheap, but it looks fun. most of the ppl ive read about have made it a fairly long term project. as far as the pc capabilities, there is not much that of a problem with the uses you would have for it. I don't intend on playing the latest FPS on it, just media, nav, diagnostics, etc.

i was reading about the touchscreens yesterday and a review of some screens clearly showed that the lilliputs are not as bright or high contrast as the xenarcs. it would seem that the xenarc gain 700 is the best from what ive seen, but its not cheap. however, being the entire interface of the system, you wouldnt want to cut corners there, i would think.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been playing with the idea for a little while now and after weeks of looking around. I think I'm going with a Mac Mini for my carputer. The only problem I am having is the fact that I want to remove the deck completely and only use the Mac for radio and so forth. In doing so I need to step up on my sound output from the Mac and then use an amp from there before going to the speakers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have any really good pics of mine, but here it is. The computer is mounted inside the dash, behind the screen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.