Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've emailed Scion twice about that piece of crap cargo cover they sell. The first reply I got was a brush-off the second reply they asked me to call.
When I talked to them they said they had never gotten a complaint about it before and basically brushed me off. They suggested I go back to the dealer and see if they had given me the wrong part. All in all they just managed to piss me off.

I would like anyone who bought a cargo cover for the xB to contact Scion and complain about it so maybe if enough of us complain they'll issue a refund to those of us who bought it or offer us the BB version or just do something.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ive never known anyone to have a problem with it. Whats wrong with yours?? Sorry they're not giving you the answer you want. You should go to the dealer THEN contact Scion when or if your dealer doesn't help you fix the situation.

Just my opinion tho....:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Is that the cover for the back where it hides your stuff? I don't have a problem with mine, what is wrong with yours?

I agree with Sherri, go to the dealership first and go from there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
i say go to dealer. If that doesnt work then get the number for the regional scion representative for your area and contact them and complain about the part and the service you have received.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, the cargo covers are crappy. It's too bad you couldn't check one out or try it out before buying it. I don't think Scion or your dealer can or will do anything about it unless the one you bought is defective.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sags no matter what I do with it. Pull it to tight and it bows lengthwise, too loose and it sags in the middle. When I picked up my xB it wasn't installed and when I got home I installed it. I've had many sessions trying to make it look like it does in the picture with no luck. The nearest dealer is 45 minutes away, the dealer I purchased it from is over an hour away. After I bought it I had no intention of returning to that dealer, I told them that at the time of purchase. All things being equal my xB will never see a dealer again. I don't even think I'm going to take them up on the free oil changes. I don't like other people touching my cars. I was a mechanic for 6 years plus 2 years of schooling so I fall in the category of the mechanically inclined.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
From what I have seen on the cover, they look really cheesy. I would never buy one. Needs to be stiffer, or retractable.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Padanky said:
From what I have seen on the cover, they look really cheesy. I would never buy one. Needs to be stiffer, or retractable.
I'm with Chris. Wonder how hard it would be to make a retractable one fit?

Hmm........

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I know someone who has one and its stiff as a board...you can even put stuff on top of it. That is what you all are talking about right? The thing across the top of the backseat to the window? :eek:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
I know someone who has one and its stiff as a board...you can even put stuff on top of it. That is what you all are talking about right? The thing across the top of the backseat to the window? :eek:
Yes, that would be better.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
It shouldn't be too hard to fab one!

*Cough* Chris! *Cough*
Yep, I'm sure we find a fabricator somewhere around here!;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suck at building from scratch, but I can rig just about anything. I think I'm going to try to rig a framework to attach this thing to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh its been resolved as far as the customer service rep I talked to today is concerned. I don't even know why they bothered to call back. She suggested I return to the dealer I got it from, even after I explained that to do so would be a little impractical. I have no desire to spend 2 hours on the road (round trip) to take care of something that Scion themselves should be able to take of.
Anybody who looks at this thing can see its a flawed design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I built a cargo cover myself...didn't take step-by-step photos, but it was pretty easy and cost under $20 to make. I used the old crappy soft one for a pattern, cut a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with a jigsaw. I covered it with black vinyl that I bought at the fabric store and covered the plywood. You can get as fancy or as plain as you want with the vinyl. I used 1/4 tack staples and a staple gun to attach the vinyl to the board, and glued a piece to cover the staples.

Mounting it is where it got a bit tricky. It took me a while to figure out how to hang it without making any holes in the plastic sides in the hatch. I tried several things, and found some 1/2 inch dowels lying around the house. I cut them to the length between the two places that the other cargo cover hooks into. The indents are deep enough to hold the dowels. I used some u shaped hooks and small screws to mount the dowels under the board. I'm not sure what they are called, but they are holding up the copper pipes in the basement.

It was my first DIY Mod, but so far so good. I haven't put anything too heavy on it, but it seems to be holing up fine. I'll try and take a photo of the finished product this weekend.

Tarra :)

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Truth be told, I was a little disappointed myself when I got mine. It is a bit cheesy, but if you look at the literal meaning of cargo cover it is just a cover. It is not a shelf, it is not a lid, it is not a tray, etc. It does exactly what it was designed to do, cover whatever you may want to hide in the cargo compartment. Yes, it does sag, as anything made out of thin vinyl would. And really, what did you expect from a "Manufacturer Accessory" that only cost $55.00?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
alittlebitcrazy said:
I built a cargo cover myself...didn't take step-by-step photos, but it was pretty easy and cost under $20 to make. I used the old crappy soft one for a pattern, cut a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with a jigsaw. I covered it with black vinyl that I bought at the fabric store and covered the plywood. You can get as fancy or as plain as you want with the vinyl. I used 1/4 tack staples and a staple gun to attach the vinyl to the board, and glued a piece to cover the staples.

Mounting it is where it got a bit tricky. It took me a while to figure out how to hang it without making any holes in the plastic sides in the hatch. I tried several things, and found some 1/2 inch dowels lying around the house. I cut them to the length between the two places that the other cargo cover hooks into. The indents are deep enough to hold the dowels. I used some u shaped hooks and small screws to mount the dowels under the board. I'm not sure what they are called, but they are holding up the copper pipes in the basement.

It was my first DIY Mod, but so far so good. I haven't put anything too heavy on it, but it seems to be holing up fine. I'll try and take a photo of the finished product this weekend.

I really like the sound of that. Please, do post up some pics!

·
Registered
219 Posts
alittlebitcrazy said:

The cargo covers are poorly designed and maufactured. They sag in the summer and stiffen in the winter. If you try to tighen them, they become almost impossible to disconnect when you need to. If you loosen the straps, the whole thing sags. If you look underneath, the loosely woven nylon fabric unravels easily. And why did Scion spend only $3 to make these covers? Because they ran out of the $2 covers. LOL

First of all, that sounds like a great design. And now, a plumbing parts lesson.
The "U" shaped items are called "copper pipe straps" and are available in any Home Depot or plumbing supplies. Be careful on size though. A so called half inch copper strap is made for copper tubing that has an inside diameter of 1/2" and therefore the inside diameter for the strap is closer to 3/4 inch. If you are using 1/2" dowel, try 3/8" copper straps which measure closer to a 1/2 " diameter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts