Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather simple, 5 minute, 8 dollar mod. Start off at the craft store or auto parts store and pick up your choice of VHT Nightshade(red or black) or the Stained Glass paint (color of your choice as well). Next you will need a small flat headed screwdriver to pop your dome light cover off (no pic of this step but its fairly self explanatory). Follow the paint cans prep instructions for the can. Wipe the INSIDE of your dome light with some rubbing alcohol to clean it well. Spray 2 light coats of the paint down for a light tint, or as many coats to get it to the desired darkness you wish. Let dry.....

Reassembling it is even easier than taking it off, pop it back on....

Results are pretty nice

and with the light on

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i plan on doing the LED Dome light upgrade next so if its to dark there is an easy fix...

---------- Post added 10-16-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

my camera sucks for pics.... so i may have new pics this coming weekend...

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a light red glow.... being prior Navy im used to at night a soft red glow fillin every space you walk.... so its kinda cool.... hopefully this weekend ill have better pics up of iti

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont go with the red then.... get some black and do a light coat.... i strongly suggest the red because anyone in the military/prior military will tell ya the same thing, red lights let you see everything but dont cause night blindness

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rather than paint it, I used a piece of lighting gel film (blue) available in many colors, Cut to size of the inside of the dome light lens. place inside and re-install the lens. That way if I need more light or white light I can just remove the gel. I have also upgraded the bulb to a 15 smd led array and tied in the oh sh*t handles with led strips so it is pretty bright at night.

You are right about the red light not causing night blindness and is used n the boating and aviation industries for night lighting.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the stuff i used i can take off with some fingernail polish remover and a rag..... so if i get bored with ti i can change

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is amazing at night... specially out in the middle of nowhere where i live.... can see clearly and it doesnt blind ya when your driving

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.