Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, do you have to use toyota oil in the xB? I want to use Mobil 1, which is synthetic, because i think its a better quality oil, but ive heard that some peoples engines started to leak and burn oil when switched to synthetic? CAn anyone prove or disprove this? Ive used Mobil 1 in my Ford truck with great results, so I don't know why a xB would do worse.

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
Just don't keep switching oil find what you want to use and stay with it. ppl may argue this but you can use a cheap oil and as long as you stay with it your engine will last just as long as if you use an expensive oil with regular changes. Switching between different oils will do more harm. There shouldn't be a problem using synthetic but if you go that route stay with it not really a good idea to switch back once you start using synthetic. I don't know this for sure but was told that if you have over 50,000 miles and you start using synthetic oil you will start burning oil. I don't know what the difference is may someone else will know why that would be.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is my understanding , from reading the " Bob is the Oil Guy" site, that what happens when people switch at higher mileage is your engine has built up carbon on the rings and internal parts while using conventional dino oil, this is normal, when you start using syn oil, it has more detergents and cleaning ability so after it cleans up from the dino you get oil burning ( sort of like scraping out the gum and not replacing the parts in a wheel cylinder.

Syn oils also lube the seals a little differently, dino just lubes them up and builds up gum keeping them working, syn would just clean up the gum in a high mileage engine, causing leaks( they were there just covered up by the gum.

Switching back and forth doesn't hurt , as long as you change the oil at recomended entervals.

I switch back and forth with no problems, dino if I am broke and just need to change,German Castrol to help our sludge making engines stay clean.

·
Registered
361 Posts
synthetic oil has smaller molecules adding to the leaking in high mileage engines. like frogbox said, added detergents clean seals, and with the normal wear on the seals the smaller molecule oil tends to seep through. the smoking would be from the valve seals leaking again due to the small molecules. if you want to run synthetic I'd say do it from the get go. then you can see the leaks as the seals fail, and stay on top of everything.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can use other oils. But as others have said stick to one brand or kind. On my first oil change at 4k miles I switched to 5w-30 Mob1 Syn oil. I plan on keep using the same oil until the car dies. If you plan on using syn oil I would start in the early stages. I wouldn't wait till you hit 75k miles then change.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help. I changed the oil with mobil 1 synthetic and i will watch it. I should be good since there are only 30k miles, which isnt that much. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use Castrol 5/30 I just always have used Castrol. I Know the manual says that you can go 5000 miles between oil changes but I can get my self to do it It's 3000 miles or three months for me. It's how I was taught and how I do it so I cant see me spending the extra money on Synthetic oil over Dino oil every 3 months or 3000 miles but to each their own.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
why do it 3k? just wasting money. and time.

dino is inferior . at least u are upping teh change interval to make up for the inferior oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.