Scion xB Forum banner

Is a Scion xB 2006 worth repairing ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 06XB , my odometer just hit 100K.
I bought it new and said to myself at the time "This car is going to be a classic one day!"
It is time for me to decide if I am going to commit.
It needs a new exhaust system ($$) And a good going over. Sadly the left rear door is rusting out and the rest of the body shows traces of rust that could bloom any day now (northern-midwest)

Can you tell me how and why I can keep it until it is nearly the classic I hoped for ? I am guessing at the milage I average I could drive it to, hell, 2036!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want to drive that thing til 2036, it won’t give up until you do! I’m under the impression that these will last forever. I have beat my 05 to death and it just won’t give up. I’m only now starting to see Scions steadily in the junkyard- which is good for parts- just go grab another door! A little rust can be loved off, as long as you’re not Fred Flinstoning down the street, I’d go ahead and fix it. I bet even with the exhaust issue and the rust, your xB cranks right up and gets you there!

I have learned that I cannot get a more reliable car for $500 (what mine is realistically worth right now) and the sentimental value alone is a large factor in my question of if I should keep it alive. If the engine ever dies, throw a Corolla motor in it and away you go. Mine’s still going strong 300k miles later- I don’t know if it’s possible but I’m shooting for 500k!

All of my repairs for 15 years (other than tires and oil) have been under $2000- still couldn’t get a better car for that price.

Going to the junkyards also made me feel better about my car! Like, oh man mine’s no where near that bad- she’s gonna be fine!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, mine is only at 90k and should last me the rest of my life...................junkyard trips are to search for treasure that yours may not have come with........I scored oem cupholder leds, a RS 1.0 badge, parts to hook up steering wheel audio controls on my 04 and more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to drive that thing til 2036, it won’t give up until you do! I’m under the impression that these will last forever. I have beat my 05 to death and it just won’t give up. I’m only now starting to see Scions steadily in the junkyard- which is good for parts- just go grab another door! A little rust can be loved off, as long as you’re not Fred Flinstoning down the street, I’d go ahead and fix it. I bet even with the exhaust issue and the rust, your xB cranks right up and gets you there!

I have learned that I cannot get a more reliable car for $500 (what mine is realistically worth right now) and the sentimental value alone is a large factor in my question of if I should keep it alive. If the engine ever dies, throw a Corolla motor in it and away you go. Mine’s still going strong 300k miles later- I don’t know if it’s possible but I’m shooting for 500k!

All of my repairs for 15 years (other than tires and oil) have been under $2000- still couldn’t get a better car for that price.

Going to the junkyards also made me feel better about my car! Like, oh man mine’s no where near that bad- she’s gonna be fine!!
Good news
THX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts