Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is a way to make our turbocharged or supercharged xB's emission compliant? In Texas, you have to pass emissions to renew your vehicle every year but I'm afraid mine is going to flat out fail. I heard somewhere that once you boost your system it's no longer going to be emission compliant, is that true? If so, how do they make cars like the WRX or Evo emission compliant?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
That, my fellow box-er, is an excellent question. We should keep this thread alive and find out for each state....Being this is a nationwide box owners club....Anyone who knows anything, please post for every state you are aware of, please.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think one thing I heard was that since our xB's use high compression ratio (10.5:1 I think), lots of fuel has to be dumped into the cylinders to prevent predetonation and I guess that translates to lots of unburnt fuel? If I remember correctly cars like the WRX have a lower compression ratio...like 8:1.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, in Iowa we don't have any emissions laws so we don't have to worry about it...:D cars with factory FI generally are engineered to pass 50 state emissions guidelines...

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
a nicely , thoughtfully setup system will pass emissions. aka greddy turbo , greddy supercharger , blitz supercharger. stuff like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The reason a WRX has a low compression is to allow for the turboand higher boost. Our cars, being "economy" and "gas frugal" don't dump a lot of fuel (or at least shouldn't!). The guy that sold it to you should be held liable to get it to pass. I don't know how Texas law works...are there any relatives in non-emissions counties? Maybe in Louisiana? They don't do emissions here...lucky us, right? Good luck with it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.