Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for coilovers within the next month or so and I was looking into either HKS or Cusco. I heard that Cusco might be the better bang for the buck because it does have camber plates. But I heard there are only a few left here in the states so I might have to go with one of these. Has anyone heard the difference of these two types of coilovers by HKS? I have the Tein S-tech springs ONLY right now and want to tuck 15's. I have a set of AME Shallen LX ready to be put on but I want to put coils on maybe before I put them on so that I don't look like I am 4x4'ing. THANKS ahead of time for everyones input.

HKS Hipermax WG Coilovers
VS.
HKS Hipermax C-compact Coilovers

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you actually want to tuck the actual rim, youll need air or be prepared to rip off your factory kit/sideskirts. You could tuck a little tire on coilovers though and HKS' will do it. they go real low. Only thing that kept me from buying them is that you can buy a set for the same price elsewhere that have adjustable dampeners. Id look into a set of JIC coilovers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
JIC says that their FLT-A2 only drop 2.5 inches. That's why I don't consider them. Until someone shows up with pics super drop with them I don't want to be the guinea pig. Oh yea the HKS have a softer spring rate then cusco too.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Everyone talks about wanting to get low, without sacrificing ride quality. While I don't blame them, you have to understand that there has to be some compromise somewhere. At least many of the newer high end coilovers allow you to adjust the height independent of the spring seat.

If you are wanting a full feature coilover on a budget, I would seriously consider Ksport. And before people start screaming about "race coilover" this and "harsh ride" that, just order custom spring rates. And I already know that people are going to say that Ksport only offers a limited number of lower spring rates for their coilovers. In my opinion, that is fine.

The standard rates for the xB coilovers is 336 lbs./in. front and 168 lbs./in. rear. While the front is fairly stiff, the rear is the same exact spring rate as the rear coils on the Tanabe DF210s. And Ksport will allow you to run as low as 252 lbs./in. in the front. Sure it isn't in the sub 200 range of most drop springs, but it is lower than the 280 rate of a set of Megan drop springs.

So for under $800 to your door, you can get a set of fully adjustable coilovers that include height adjustment independent of spring perch adjustment, adjustable camber plates with pillow ball mounts, 36 position adjustable dampening, and spring rates pretty well in line with a standard set of 2" drop springs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone talks about wanting to get low, without sacrificing ride quality. While I don't blame them, you have to understand that there has to be some compromise somewhere. At least many of the newer high end coilovers allow you to adjust the height independent of the spring seat.

If you are wanting a full feature coilover on a budget, I would seriously consider Ksport. And before people start screaming about "race coilover" this and "harsh ride" that, just order custom spring rates. And I already know that people are going to say that Ksport only offers a limited number of lower spring rates for their coilovers. In my opinion, that is fine.

So for under $800 to your door, you can get a set of fully adjustable coilovers that include height adjustment independent of spring perch adjustment, adjustable camber plates with pillow ball mounts, 36 position adjustable dampening, and spring rates pretty well in line with a standard set of 2" drop springs.
Thanks for the information. I am not so worried about the ride quality. I don't mind the comfort really. I just want to be able to get low so that it doesn't look funny. I just don't want to have to worry about pee-ing my pants while driving with all the bumps that I might hit. But yeah ride quality I can't complain about because I am on STOCK shocks with just springs and that is a fine ride for me. I don't mind stiff. I would rather be stiff than like a lincoln/cadillac. hahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.