Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I was at the dealer getting first free oil change(2600mi). I asked service advisor if 2006.5 Xb's come from the factory with cabin air filter. He says "Good Question." He asked mechanic who said look behind glove box and see. I did but I can't tell. I see where it goes. I see a white round area and black on top left and right corners. I don't see what would look like filter material. Is it on the inside and therefore I can't see it? Do they come from the factory with them now?:confused:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
ChromiumSteel said:
OK, so I was at the dealer getting first free oil change(2600mi). I asked service advisor if 2006.5 Xb's come from the factory with cabin air filter. He says "Good Question." He asked mechanic who said look behind glove box and see. I did but I can't tell. I see where it goes. I see a white round area and black on top left and right corners. I don't see what would look like filter material. Is it on the inside and therefore I can't see it? Do they come from the factory with them now?:confused:
They don't come from the factory. I bought one from the parts department for 25 bucks. When it wears out I'll use it as a pattern for making my own.

The filter is actually in a little "drawer" above the white area you are looking at. It pulls out towards you. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts there's nothing in it. a

I found it makes a difference in the amount of dust in my Box after adding the filter.

"The magic fridge" I love that commercial!!!!

G

·
Mine did not have one either, and so I bought one from the dealer ($20) It should have came with a tube a ky jelly (that way getting screwed wouldn't wouldn't hurt so much). It is a flimsy piece of crap looking filter and I don't see how it could do much good. Someone needs to make a better one.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
I made my own after seeing this on another site. I'll try and post that thread up when I get home from work. Definately cheaper that buying one from the dealer. And you get more filters for your money.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
scionbox123 said:
do you have to pull out the glove compartment to check it ?
Yes, you pull the glove compartment and there it is. Pretty simple. There are tabs on each side of the glove compartment door that have to be squeezed in so the door can come out.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Cool, just found this thread after noticing the disgusting amount of dust my car accumilates on the interior. I am definately gonna make one of these tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I made filters for both our boxes using the above thread awhile back and they work great. I opted for the filter with the charcoal layer (better than mfg) and made six from one $11 furnace filter at Lowe’s. $11 vs. $120 = easy math. I love the internet!:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
I did mine last week, very nice little mod ;)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
just for shits and giggles, I took my filter out, after almost 1 year of useage, and it's SO DIRTY. Disgusting really. I'll be replacing it soon.

btw I made my own with 3M Filtrete and I don't see any flow difference.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The filter idea is a great idea and not hard to do yourself. The link that Moonray provided to the Scionlife filter info has some good info on filters there. The filter idea that I liked best used a filter kit from Walmart. The problem seems to be that Walmart may not be carrying it. My Walmart dose not so I did a search and found a source for them.
http://www.webproducts.com/products/furnace_ac/absorber.jsp
I will be ordering one of each of the kits shown. They recommend changing them every 90 days. By the way I guess Home Depot sells them also. You are suppose to be able to make 6 from one kit. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.