Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Flawed Perspective
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short.... 4th clip for the air box finally broke off a few years back. Decided to pull the trigger on the Secret Weapon Short Ram from Weapon R. Car functions just fine for the most part, but... for a while now I've had the CEL on, Trac control on, and VCS blinking. Also, there is a definite delay between pedal input and actual acceleration.

I've gone through a couple MAF sensors at this point. Mechanic is stumped as well. Codes say

·
Registered
748 Posts
codes say????.......Interested because I have Injen intake that I haven't swapped to yet.....mine just goes straight off throttle body to below headlight behind fog light.

·
A Flawed Perspective
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where the rest if the post went... sorry.

Codes say "System Too Rich Bank 1". Mechanic has gone over it a few times, and is suggesting that the after market intake could be the issue. Only way to know for sure is to switch back to stock. So before I pull the trigger on purchasing an oem intake system, I was hoping someone else here has already dealt with and figured out a work around. Local parts dealer assured me I would not need to remap for just an intake. And for a while after installation there were no issues. Not sure if the shirt ram is really the culprit or not.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,630 Posts
I would go through and double check that the MAF is seated and sealed properly and that any hose connections after the MAF are sealed as well. Might want to get the mechanic to do a smoke test on the intake to properly see if there is a leak.

Also what is the actual code being shown? Usually it's P0101 or P0171.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That would be lean codes right? Rich seems like air restriction or something to that effect. I thought lean would be codes op is seeing, didn't expect rich.....

·
A Flawed Perspective
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is everything from my bluedriver...
Font Electric blue Screenshot Technology Electronic device

For P0172:
Font Darkness Monochrome photography Number Screenshot

For C1201
Font Electric blue Pattern Darkness Circle

There are quite a few "potential fixes". That's why I think I'd rather just purchase an oem intake system and see what happens, because some of suggested fixes are not cheap.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,630 Posts
Damn, I didn't even see it was a too rich condition.

Ok, then that rules out air leaks after the MAF and you've already tried different MAFs, so that's unlikely where the problem is. Only things that can cause a too rich condition are too much air or too little fuel. I'd check your fuel pressure to make sure it where it should be. Could be an injector, coil or plug but those would usually also throw a misfire code and you're not. Alternately it could be a bad power or ground line to one of the sensors, but that's less likely. Any other mods to the car, like a header, or is the rest stock?

·
Registered
4 Posts
All stock.
I installed the TRD air intake box air tube and the coupling kit was around $200 you only need those four parts and you've got the TRD intake system gave me a lot of low end better clutch response idols better and it really seals up any leaks I bought mine from Lewis Toyota in Topeka Kansas shipped to the door $200 you need the intake tube to that goes on your stock air box it gets rid of all that wound up snorkeling intake tubing that they shove down in the
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Plastic Plastic wrap Transparency Packing materials Electric blue
bumper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts