Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I can't find the thread I was reading before. I just bought new 18x7.5 wheels for my box and I'm trying to find tires for them for this coming summer. It seems that the popular size is 215/35's. I've been looking on tirerack.com and a few other websitesbut I can't seem to find something I like. The only qualifications I have are: Long Tread Wear, Good Traction in Wet Conditions, not extremely noisy.

I have been reading reviews for a few days now. What is everyone else riding on? Thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
That is mostly because of the category of tires that you are looking at, that you cant find your desired qualities. If you think about it, 215/35/18 is a small tire which is more condusive to performance since its low pro. Not a lot of performance tires inturn are built for long tread wear, and quietness.

What I would do is look into 215/40/18. I know its bigger, but itll be a softer ride and you might have better luck there. I know my friend Matt from back in the day was rockin Hankook 215/40s with Goldlines with no rubbing. His rims were 7.5 wide too and 39 offset. He really liked them and were considerably quieter than the 35 series he had before. Just my personal opinion. Granted itll raise your car a half inch, but if you really need those qualities, then Id check out that size.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
If you stay with P215/35R18 sized tire your speedometer will not change. If
you go a taller tire it change the accuracy. I doubt you would really notice
the difference between a 40 series tire as opposed to 35 series in this instance,
as both are still concidered "low profile" tires. I have Nitto's on the xb now and
they seem to do just fine. Road noise is all about the road in which you drive
on. New smooth pavement - nice and quiet -- old ruff pavement -- more noise.
Everyone has their own oppinions on tires, good,bad whatever it might be, just
do some research and go with what you feel is the best for your budget. Even
a cheap tire if taken care of properly can get 30k. Make sure you rotate them
on a regular basis, check air monthly, and have the alignment checked once or
maybe twice a year.

Ok enough rambling -- I hope this helps you.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I have 215/35/18 and when I had my ScanGauge II, it read 5mph slower than my speedo.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Padanky said:
I have 215/35/18 and when I had my ScanGauge II, it read 5mph slower than my speedo.
Thats odd a p185/60r15 tire stands 23.74 inches tall a p215/35r18 stands
23.93 inches tall. With the stock tire the speedo should be dead on at 65mph
where as the 18" tire will be .52 miles faster -- 65 compared to 65.52 mph. It
sounds like something isn't calibrated right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the first thing I figured out was the overall diameter of the tire. I knew it was a little larger than stock, but no biggie. If anything it might help keep my odometer a few miles lower *lease*.

Want to recommend any brands? I was looking at the Fuzion and Kuhmo. Temptation got the best of me and I also saw Nexen on e-bay, but I'm always leary about buying something of such importance on e-bay. My price range isn't too high, trying to stay in the $115 or less area. I'll be saving all winter just for tires, haha. Stupid college.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
x2theB said:
Yeah the first thing I figured out was the overall diameter of the tire. I knew it was a little larger than stock, but no biggie. If anything it might help keep my odometer a few miles lower *lease*.

Want to recommend any brands? I was looking at the Fuzion and Kuhmo. Temptation got the best of me and I also saw Nexen on e-bay, but I'm always leary about buying something of such importance on e-bay. My price range isn't too high, trying to stay in the $115 or less area. I'll be saving all winter just for tires, haha. Stupid college.
Yokohama Avid H4S are good tires. These are the ones I plan on getting next. Plus they have great tread wear. for the 215/40/17 thread wear is at 500AA compared to some of the normal of 240 to 300. I have Toyo Proxes (came with the wheels i got) and those seem to be good but too much road noise for me...

I suggest going to www.tirerack.com and look up your wheels size and you can select a few and compare them side by side and see what you like.

But I've had allot of wheels in the past and the Toyo T1R have been the best for me.

I've tried
Nankang which sucked A$$
Kumho Escta 712 - Very loud
Toyo Proxes4 - good but very bad thread rating
Yokohama Parada Spec 2 - good but also very bad thread rating. Lasted me 10k miles on 19's
Dunlop Sport Maxx - Good tires but also very loud
Toyo t1r's - very good tire also. I've like these the best.
I will be trying the Yokohama Avid H4S next and see how go. So far every review I have read has had nothing but good to say about them.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
better yet

try some LES Schwab ZEXIUS they're made in japan by Ohtsu the makers of Falkens I'm riding on them and good tire so far @112.00 per wheel. and i have been a 20 plus year customer w/them never- NEVER had bad service or product:D thats a good price:cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, after reading all of the reviews I have come to a conclusion. There is no way to find the perfect tire at the perfect price. I had three qualifications; good wet/dry traction, slow tire wear, not extremely noisy.

The last one I can deal with. I am going to dynamat my hatch and floor in the spring for my audio, therefore noise won't be much of a problem.

I will only have the wheels on my car for about 7 or 8 months a year and I drive around 1500 to 1800 miles per month. That is 14400 miles per year on these tires. If I could use them for 3 years, 43200, I would be estatic. Though 43,200 is probably pushing it.

Lastly, wet/dry traction is a must. I am considering Hankook Radial K106, Kuhmo Ecsta SPT, Nitto NT NeoGeo ZR, Dunlop SP Sport FM901, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, and the Nexen N3000.

I know that's a lot to take in, but listening to what you've told me has helped me narrow my search a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts