Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'll make my story short and sweet.

Owned a Geo Metro and sold it for $200. I currently own a 1992 Eagle Talon n/t FWD because I was stupid and thought it would be a good car... I was very wrong. Broke down in less than a year and now i'm looking at paying almost two grand to get it repaired. Just for something to drive, I bought a 1993 Geo Storm for $950 and that's doing me alright except for the slow oil leak.

Anyways, back to the point. I am currently looking into getting a Scion xB and I need to know a few things.

Being that I am Canadian and there is no such thing as a Scion dealership, should I be worried about the reliability of the xB? How many of the parts are the same as Toyota parts? How has the maintenance fees been for you xB vets?

I love the style of the xB, and the fact that they are sort of in my price range. I just want a straight up critique from people who have owned them and know their pros and cons. I do understand that there is a bias for the car since this is an xB club, but I didn't come here asking if there is something better :)

Hope to be a bigger part of this forum if things work out in my favour.

Nick Manning
1992 Eagle Talon (dead)
1993 Geo Storm (hilarious)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Wow, surprised no one else has responded yet.

Well I’ve had my xB for a year now & my bf has had his for two and neither of us have had any service issues. That’s why I buy Toyota. Life is stressful enough -- if I wanted grief from my car I would buy a Ford.

That said exactly how far would the nearest dealership be? If it’s real far you do have some kind of competent mechanic in the area right? Someone used to dealing with Toyotas would do nicely. ;)

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I live in Calgary, Alberta. I think the closest Scion dealership is in Idaho but that I really am not sure about.

There are a lot of Toyota dealerships around here that would probably know about the engine since its not new news up here. Plus I could probably take advice from my dad since he owns a 2003 Camry.

By the by, another poll for you guys and ladies. Automatic or standard? If the auto is better than standard, it would increase my options tenfold since there appears to be about... ten Scions in the area with an automatic gearbox. I like standard but i'm willing to take a hit if anyone has their opinion.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Should not be too much of a problem for parts or service knowledge in Canada. The Scion xB is essentially a Toyota Echo with a box body - very similar to the Toyota Yaris.

Reliability for them seems to be very good so long as one takes care of them. Mine has had zero problems in the bit over two years I've had her. I just feed her gas, use Toyota filters and a good synthetic oil changed every 5000 miles, keep her clean and shiny and that's about it.

The windshield being so vertical and large, and only having a little bit of hood in front of it, has a tendency to collect gravel - you will want to learn not to follow too closely (which is a good idea, anyway).

Needless to say most of us here love our odd little boxes, and think they are great little cars for their price. They are a very honest little vehicle.

Here's a forum with a fair amount of Canada posts in it, and some discussion between Canadian owners: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=29

Some of them might be able to offer up some insight on servicing the box in 'the great white north.' :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I almost live in Canada the border is only 30 miles away. There is a dealership in Kallispell MT. Just west of Glacier National Park. Also since I am 200 miles from a Scion dealership I talked to my local Toyota dealership before purchasing my xB and they had no problem working on it. Like Tomas said they are pretty much a Yaris with a way better looking body IMO. So talk to your local Toyota dealership and find a box you like. I drove 600 miles one way to find my RS 3.0 and I have never had one regret.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
The ONLY problem I have had was a wire frying....and that is because it gets so hot here (123 F) and they replaced that NO problem :)

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SO, now I am completely convinced the xB is for me. Now it's just the matter of getting my debt down a little so I can get either a new loan from my bank or do financing if that's even possible with a Canadian buying an American car. I also will most likely import a new one so that I am not paying $25,000CDN for a used Scion.

My original thought was going and getting an 06 Scion with 41,000km on it for $22,997, but I think it would be much more economical to just take a trip to Montana and import it to Canadia. It will take probably 2 weeks, but I think it would be more than worth it in the end.

Just a matter of how long it takes me to pay off some debt....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Be aware that actual production of the Scion xB Classic ENDED in early December of 2006, and the only new ones that will be available are those already at dealerships - there are no more coming. If you want to buy a new xB you need to do it VERY quickly. This is everyone's LAST chance to get the original xB. Once the ones already on the lots are sold, that's it. :(

After that, all you'll be able to get is either a used xB Classic or one of the new vehicles being called an xB.

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They can still have "new" old xBs on the lot. They can clear out the old stock while the new ones come in. Hopefully a slight price reduction will come into effect with that as well... but probably not.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hopefully a slight price reduction will come into effect
I wouldn’t count on a price reduction. They don’t seem to be having trouble selling in our area. Our club’s sponsor told us most of the local dealers are down to around ten.

You asked earlier about auto versus manual. I’ve got auto myself (never learned stick). I’ve added a catback & CAI. Which makes me maybe as fast as a stock manual. :rolleyes: Maybe. :) If you care about speed you might want manual. Don’t think they have more reliability issues, (if you treat them nicely), perhaps someone w a manual could chime in.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
well...if you want speed, dont go with the box in the first place LOL.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
I have a manual with a short shifter, and its like sex. driving the car is so easy the shifts are sooo smooth. the xB practically drives it self anyway. you can get a few more MPG with the manual because of the total control of the rpm range and you can pick up a little pep by winding the gears. the only thing that sucks is...and im not sure if its the same way with the automatic but... at 80MPH im turning 4000RPM in 5th gear. the gearing is pretty stout but i guess with a 1.5 engine you need to give it a little kick in the ass somewhere. but ive never had any problems and i just turned 12000mi. on the way to work tonight. my warranty is also honored at ANY toyota dealership. not just scion. hope that helps at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.