Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you bought a salvaged title car? I was looking at picking one up, any tips on what to look for? Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Didn't notice what state your in, but here in Ca before you can register it you must get a complete inspection ( brakes,electrical, ect) cost about $195 per test, and if it doesn't pass the first time, it costs you another test fee. It must be done at a state certified station.

Then you need to get all VIN numbers verified at the DMV.

Remember, you cannot legally drive ( or have the wheels touch the ground) until DMV and the state certifies it. Get used to hauling it around on a trailer until then.

During the test the car must be 100% the way it came out of the factory, no aftermarket parts at all.electrical must all work and be as designed ( head lights, side markers, reflectors) all lenses must have the dot numbers that were originally there ( all stock).

so no cleared corners,HID, led tail lights and such. No headers,intake, exhaust except what came stock from the factory.

Now the hard part is trying to find insurance for it to satisfy CA. many companies won't cover them.

I wish you luck, I have been thru this many times ( my datsun 510 collection keeps growing)

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is their new procedure, went thur it just 2 weeks ago.

It's a real PITA. They told me they are trying to discourage people from doing this, they think the cars are unsafe until completely checked by their mechanics.

Cost $500 for insurance, was hard to get, $195 for brake and electrical check, that was after finding and purchasing all the stock parts.

This is just to get it to the point to sell it to someone that really wants a car that has a salvaged title.

BTW, it takes 3 sales of the car to clear the Salvage Title stamp off of even the pink slip and registration. ( that means 3 different unrelated people need to buy it)

If your looking at one, check out the frame, shops sometimes weld 2 cars together to make one. Know of one that split in 2 pieces that way.
Check out the vin plates and numbers, they don't always match the right year.
Ask for any and all inspection papers, at the least where and who did the inspection, they will have a record of why it was scraped in the first place.
Just to save a few headaches, run a car fax on it. that will show all of the above, and where it came from.
Sometimes the car was one of those that got flooded in New Orleans, have seen alot lately that were flooded sold as salvaged title only to rust completely out after a few short months.

But if you really want the car, it may be worth it for a true classic or in high demand car.

My last Datsun project that was a salvaged title, I paid $300 for the car,$195 for inspection,down payment of $500 insurance( at sale refunded $400) , new motor,trans and a case of rattle can walmart special primer, to get me a total of $ 4500 when I sold it. Only had it for 3 months.

I think it was worth it, don't you?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is their new procedure, went thur it just 2 weeks ago.

It's a real PITA. They told me they are trying to discourage people from doing this, they think the cars are unsafe until completely checked by their mechanics.

Cost $500 for insurance, was hard to get, $195 for brake and electrical check, that was after finding and purchasing all the stock parts.

This is just to get it to the point to sell it to someone that really wants a car that has a salvaged title.

BTW, it takes 3 sales of the car to clear the Salvage Title stamp off of even the pink slip and registration. ( that means 3 different unrelated people need to buy it)

If your looking at one, check out the frame, shops sometimes weld 2 cars together to make one. Know of one that split in 2 pieces that way.
Check out the vin plates and numbers, they don't always match the right year.
Ask for any and all inspection papers, at the least where and who did the inspection, they will have a record of why it was scraped in the first place.
Just to save a few headaches, run a car fax on it. that will show all of the above, and where it came from.
Sometimes the car was one of those that got flooded in New Orleans, have seen alot lately that were flooded sold as salvaged title only to rust completely out after a few short months.

But if you really want the car, it may be worth it for a true classic or in high demand car.

My last Datsun project that was a salvaged title, I paid $300 for the car,$195 for inspection,down payment of $500 insurance( at sale refunded $400) , new motor,trans and a case of rattle can walmart special primer, to get me a total of $ 4500 when I sold it. Only had it for 3 months.

I think it was worth it, don't you?

wow that sounds like a mess!!! Well Im going to stray away from salvaged titled cars for now, some get a salvaged title due to theft and what not. Well thanks for all the helpful info think I know what I should due now.

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.