Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to open the rear hatch, and the handle with the mounting bezel pulled out. The mounting post that secures the bezel to the door is broken. Any advice on a replacement would be much appreciated.
I tried to post a picture here to show you guys, but cannot figure out how to attach it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ya know...i read before about this...i dont understand how you guys are breaking the actual handle...
maybe its the year you guys have...when i went to test drive this 06 im interested in...it has a little rubber push thing that activates the rear release and you just continue pulling up on it...so where is this bezel that you guys keep breaking?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not the handle that broke. Its the Bezel that the handle is mounted to. Can someone tell me how to attach a jpeg picture.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
like this. [ img ] http://www.imageloaction.com/image.jpg or whatever you know [ /img ]

just no spaces between [ and img and no spaces between ] and image location

[ img ] location [ /img ] with not spaces... yea something like that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine broke off my 04 Toaster. This is definitely a design flaw. Flimsy handle.

99 bucks from the dealer and already painted blue. Took me about 30 minutes to change.

·
TCM Owner
187 Posts
I second Staticlink's proposal! Mine ended up breaking not long after I got it (upon taking it out to switch it, I found out it had broken before and they attempted to fix it) I switched it with the ScionPro one, love it, the parts that break are redesigned for the ScionPro one, so it is nice and sturdy.

here is a link:

Welcome to SCIONPRO.com!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Daam factory handle broke again on me, 2nd one, Not ruggard at all. Just ordered the stronger one from Scionpro. Surprised, not seing more complaints from others. The factory design is a flimsy piece of crap.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
You are just too fast to pull the handle, i think. I usually push the rubber pad, pause for half a sec and then pull. That gives time for the electric actuator to release the latch. I agree that factory could have made it stronger but all you got to do is to make it a habit. May be it will last longer then. Or may be its because the plastic gets too fragile in the cold.
If mine breaks i'll have a good excuse to buy me a chrome one :D

·
4 Time Scion Owner
9,475 Posts
once it clicks, you then pull up. Sounds like people are trying to open it, before its unlocked. Which I can see.

Anywhom. What's happening is, the 2 10mm bolts are coming loose, that thats probably rattling a bit. Then your grabbing it, pulling to hard, and just snapping the studs right off. If you have tighten those 2 10mm studs, be sure than you don't over torque them. Or that too is going to shorten the life span, of a weak link.

A temp fix? Double sided tape or duct tape. If you can't Duct it. Fuct it!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmmm, oldazz thread coming back with actual importance. Nice.

Anyway, this will be the 5th cold cold cold Iowa winter with my ride and I've never had a problem with the handle. I think there may be some excessive yanking going on or something.

Our club's prez killed his a couple years ago and replaced it with the ScionPro piece which has held up well in a structural sense.

Word of advice on that though, either clean it VERY often in winter or do something to protect it like Zylon or something. The backs of our boxes get every bit of road salt and nasty you can imagine on them and it will pit that chrome in a heartbeat.

-Alex

·
4 Time Scion Owner
9,475 Posts
Thanks for the Jinx. My hatch didn't shut tight last night.... Well I thought it did, but when I hit a bump or something, it would open to the safety catch and the light would come on. So I pull over to the side of the road to go shut it again, and first grab on it, the left side clip broke. Reason? I held the button in, it was unlocked, and started to lift... But it was bitter cold out, and the plastic just got weak.

But for now, it's still holding on. WAHOO!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Yeah these things break all the time. That is why I redesigned the part to be heavier ,stronger, thicker in key areas of stress and improved the stud area/install...on top of that I chromed it in real chrome! for the bling. Two years on the market with hundreds sold and no warranty claims. They have been sold throughout the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Outer Leward Islands. They have endured the cold of Alaska, the moisture of the South and dry heat of the west.They come with a 1 year Warranty on the casting and five years on the finish. They are on sale now at 89.95 with free shipping for my Five year anniversary specials. Many other stocking stuffers are also on sale for under 100 dollars. ....and thank you to those in this thread that recomended my product.

·
Registered
70 Posts
anyone know where to get the stock handles at? Mine has nearly fallen off, and i def dont want to get it from the stealership.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
anyone know where to get the stock handles at? Mine has nearly fallen off, and i def dont want to get it from the stealership.
Thanks
I wish I would have known about scionpro.com before I bought mine. Cheaper and stronger than OE.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.