Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since moving to San Francisco, I used my xB less and less to the point it was more of a hassle to have a car. I decided to store my xB in a garage temporarily until I decide what to do with it. For the first couple months, I took it out a few times for road trips and to run errands here and there, but then I pretty much let it sit for the following 3 months. It has probably had the same tank of gas in it the whole time!

Anyways, I'm about to bring her back out of hibernation, and I don't know what to expect...:( ...maybe a dead battery...does gas go bad...should I have it checked out...etc..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yes Gas Goes Bad It Turns Into Varnish Of A Sort Nasty Smell
Blahhhhh

·
Registered
673 Posts
hmm that or water condensed/gathered in the tank.. maybe a bit of gass dryer before you start it up??
hopefully will start up fine.... and next time b4 longterm storage.. try gass stabelizer (sp?) think thats whats needed for prolonged storage...

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is a stuff that you add to the gas for storage, most autozones,kragen and the like carry it. keeps your gas from turning.also helps bring it back.

what happens is that part of the gas evaporates leaving the "extras" they add for octane and cleaners behind.

make sure to change the oil, even better once started do a system flush.

check battery connections for corrosion and clean em up.put the battery on a charger for awhile, a overnight trickle charge will do.

check the tires for dry rot, proper inflation.

Before storing it again wash her, and do a really good wax on her, cover her up and you'll be good to go next time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As stated above, gas stabilizer would have been a good thing to add before storage.

3 months isn't that bad, you should be fine as far as the gas goes. Just go top it off with fresh gas ASAP.

If your battery was good when you last drove it, I'd say it'll start right up, at the least maybe a jump to get it going.

Being a military guy I let cars sit all the time while away on deployment and never had a problem when I got back. I'd go away for 6 months sometimes, the most I did to my car was a jump to get it started when back (and that was only once, and the battery need replace before I left)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Use Stabil for your fuel. I use it in my Toyhauler when it sits during the summer months and I use it in the boat and bikes. Good stuff and I believe it keeps fuel good for 18 months. 3 months isnt the end of the world. I wouldnt think that your battery is dead but if it is and you plan on storing it a bit more I would seriously consider ordering a battery tender (look it up by name on google) that way your battery will be maintained.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
You should be fine this time.....I had my 73 superbeetle off the road for 1.5 yrs and then on way to work totalled my jetta. Pushed the bug out of the garage into street back wrecked jetta into garage. Steal the battery out of the jetta add gas to the bug and started right up. Drove it for a year until I got the box.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah like hot box said, change the oil, and check fluid levels, but next time you store it, disconnect the battery....you shouldnt have problems with the gas.....if it's only a few months.....kuz the car is soo new that everything should be sealed well......and to prevent moisture and mold in your car, make little cups or square bowls out of tin foil and fill them with baking soda....set them on the floor boards on the driver and passenger front and back......thats what alot of people do with old classic cars they only use in the summer months.....just an idea:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.