Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I noticed that for the most part, whenever I brake or go down hill, the volume goes down on my sterio. Now, the actual numbers (vol level) dont go down. But I can clearly hear a difference in sound. At first I thought I was just going a little deaf. (cause yeah, I go to clubs and its LOUD) And didnt think much of it. But then I noticed it alot today. And it only happens when the vol. level is below 30.
A friend of mine said "oh yeah, thats a common problem with Scions, didnt you know?" But I had never ever heard of that. Any tips on how to fix this or is she right?

:confused:

and if it makes a difference, everything in my box is still stock.

***spelling edited to please the public***

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasnt aware that there is one. I didnt get any sort of book about my sterio. I've just been guessing my way around the thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scionetics said:
you're 22 years old, and it's amazing you don't have the concept
of spelling and proper word usage down by now.

correct word to use would be -- BRAKE

http://www.webster.com
Ouch major burn!!

Sorry bout that. I'll make sure to consult my local grammar/spelling nazi before I post here again.
But honestly, if you're going to comment, you can atleast say something to help me solve my issue. ;)

·
Banned
77 Posts
i've taken out my stock stereo a long time ago so not
sure, but i would assume it's the SSV to compensate for
road noise. if the stock stereo has it...
volume goes up as speed goes up, and
vol. goes down as speed goes down.

probably a setting to adjust how much of an effect the SSV
has. low, mid, high, or off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scionetics said:
i've taken out my stock stereo a long time ago so not
sure, but i would assume it's the SSV to compensate for
road noise. if the stock stereo has it...
volume goes up as speed goes up, and
vol. goes down as speed goes down.

probably a setting to adjust how much of an effect the SSV
has. low, mid, high, or off.

Thank you, I'll play around with it and see what works best.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some help...

If you have one of the stock head units with the rotary volume control instead of the push-button volume control on the unit, you have a feature in the head unit that varies the volume based on projected vehicle noise level due to speed.

The "Audio Control" mode is entered by pressing the volume control knob. There are a number of functions it can perform. Each pres of the knob cycles to the next mode, then turning the knob while in that mode changes the settings. It cycles through the modes in the following order: SRT (Sound Retouch) -> BAS (Bass) -> TRE (Treble) -> FAD (Fader) -> BAL (Balance) -> ASL (Automatic Sound Levelizer) -> VOL (Volume) -> SRT... etc.

Here are the instructions from the current manual:
ASL: During driving, noise in the car changes according to the driving speed and road conditions, The Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) monitors such varying noise and automatically increases the volume level. If this noise becomes greater, the sensitivity (variation of volume level to noise level) of ASL can be set to one of three levels. Turning the VOLUME knob clockwise
OFF (Off) -> LOW (Low) -> MID (Middle) -> HIGH (High)
Turning the VOLUME knob counterclockwise
HIGH (High) -> MID (Middle) -> LOW (Low) -> OFF (Off)
Initial setting is LOW.
Hope that helps some until you get a manual from your dealer - the Audio System Owner's Manual should have been included in with the other booklets and first aid kit. If it was not, soundly beat your dealer about the head and shoulders until they give you one. :D

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Tom! I played around with it a bit and that seems to be what the problem was. And I'm totally going to hound my dealer for the booklet.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
stock? eh i'd die before i'd have to listen to that again. lol. a lot of aftermarket stereo's have asl or something like it nowadays. nifty!. i hated using it when i had my supra. it was sooo loud that to sound good while driving when i came to a stop it'd go down to inaudible.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The nice thing about the one in the newer Scion/Pioneer units is that it has three levels of action, from just mild to very strong (or off), instead of like in some aftermarket units where it was always too much. With the new OEM HU it can be controlled to match one's needs and vehicle.

(Wouldn't mind having one of the new units in my '05, just for the volume control KNOB!) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.