Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Our 2004 first gen XB manual transmission with 250k was totaled while parked. We bought a nice 2006 auto model with 175k to replace it. I like the 2006 model a lot, but the brakes have seemed funky from the beginning. It's got rear drum brakes, do they all? I thought my 2004 had discs all around. When we test drove the car, the brakes seemed soft compared to our 2004. The previous owner had all his maintenance done at the local Midas, so we've taken it back there twice, once before we bought it and once after. To Midas' credit, each time they have put the car on the lift and removed all 4 wheels and never charged us. They adjusted the rear drums which firmed up how the brakes feel, but now we notice a squeaky noise when we start after the car after it's been sitting, or if we apply the brakes strongly. Midas says the brakes are fine. Should I take it somewhere else and spend some money, or just keep driving to see if it changes? I feel like we know how the brakes should feel because we never had any brake issues or concerns with the 2004. I should probably add that the 2006 collided with a deer and was repaired. No signs of uneven tire wear, it has the same set of tires from 2019 and the deer collision happened in 2020. It drives straight and doesn't pull to one side or the other. It brakes straight as well without any pull.

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

· xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,216 Posts
All Scion xB Generation One vehicles produced for the United States Domestic Market (USDM) were sold with rear drum brakes. Toyota, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), did not offer rear disk brakes even as an option.

A few owners modified their xB's with rear disk brakes using various brands and models of stock parts and custom components for mounting the calipers and for attaching the parking brake cable. Some aftermarket vendors offer conversion kits for rear disk brakes.

Early model Toyota iSt vehicles sold in Japan had rear disk brakes. These are an easy transfer to the xB. Although the iSt was sold in the USDM as the Scion xA the model did not come from the OEM with rear disks.

You may wish to consider having a Toyota dealer inspect your xB's brakes for correct parts and proper function.

Good luck with your new xB. The Salsa Red Metallic (3Q3) is a great color.

· Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
374 Posts
Well, Myopic's already hit the key points... As far as recommendations for a second opinion, if you feel like it's going to drive you nuts if you don't solve it, then yeah. But myself, I'd be content with Midas' determination that they're fine. I always return to vehicle repair places that give honest info like that when they don't make any money suggesting it.

Did you luck out and get an 06 with the steering wheel audio controls? It's addicting.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe, i haven't tried the controls on the steering wheel. I was happy that that the 2006 had an auxiliary input on the console. With the 2004 I used a funky bluetooth to fm adapter.
Vehicle Wheel White Automotive tire Car

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Our 2004 first gen XB manual transmission with 250k was totaled while parked. We bought a nice 2006 auto model with 175k to replace it. I like the 2006 model a lot, but the brakes have seemed funky from the beginning. It's got rear drum brakes, do they all? I thought my 2004 had discs all around. When we test drove the car, the brakes seemed soft compared to our 2004. The previous owner had all his maintenance done at the local Midas, so we've taken it back there twice, once before we bought it and once after. To Midas' credit, each time they have put the car on the lift and removed all 4 wheels and never charged us. They adjusted the rear drums which firmed up how the brakes feel, but now we notice a squeaky noise when we start after the car after it's been sitting, or if we apply the brakes strongly. Midas says the brakes are fine. Should I take it somewhere else and spend some money, or just keep driving to see if it changes? I feel like we know how the brakes should feel because we never had any brake issues or concerns with the 2004. I should probably add that the 2006 collided with a deer and was repaired. No signs of uneven tire wear, it has the same set of tires from 2019 and the deer collision happened in 2020. It drives straight and doesn't pull to one side or the other. It brakes straight as well without any pull.

View attachment 80765
Has the brakes been Bled? or fluid changed after 16 years? If you hear squealing noise maybe the rear brake shoes are put on backwards, have someone else look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts