Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wifes 06.5 has about 1200 miles and the amount of brake dust on the front wheels is crazy.... does eveyone have this prob? its so bad it might be worth it to change my front pads to a better quality pad to see if there is less dust... any sugg??

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
i think its normal. you should've seen mine after 5 hours of stop-and-go traffic. :(

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Brake Dust????? thats what downshifting is for..........lol All the manufactures are making them softer so they don't squeak but they do produce ALOT of dust

·
Banned
199 Posts
stop slamming on the brakes.
i have 1028 miles on my xb and i bought mine 2-3 weeks ago.
i take it easy when i drive and maximize my fuel economy.
i have a little brake dust, but not to your extreme.
slamming on the brakes or breaking hard cause more then normal break dust.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
ceramic pads cut down allot on brake dust. as well as a carbon/metallic pad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stop slamming on the brakes.
i have 1028 miles on my xb and i bought mine 2-3 weeks ago.
i take it easy when i drive and maximize my fuel economy.
i have a little brake dust, but not to your extreme.
slamming on the brakes or breaking hard cause more then normal break dust.
i dont slam on brakes. im never hard on them.. im suprised nobody else has this complain.. take your front hubcaps of and just look at the amount of dust is on them.... i put the wheels on with about 1300 miles.. washed it twice in that time.. brake dust is crazy

·
Registered
552 Posts
ceramic pads cut down allot on brake dust. as well as a carbon/metallic pad
^^^^^ what he said^^^^^

but some of the pads like above can squeek

Thats why Scion used the ones they did to avoid squeeks. I too hate brake dust but what can you do, I hate squeeks more :)

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
You may wanna have the dealership look at the brake lines then.

I'm not mechanic, and I don't claim to be, but if you're really that concerned about it, there might be a kink in the line which won't allow the fluid to reach...I think that causes the pads to run hotter and produce more dust...

Anyways, I've had my sotck brakes on for 2 years, 22k miles with aftermarket wheels and it's not really that bad.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like you might be hard on your brakes alittle bit.
I wash my car once a week somtimes twice so many it dosn't build up enough for me to notice.

·
Banned
199 Posts
^agreed
take it easy one the brakes. do u do alot of city driving?
bumper to bumper traffic?
stop & go?
accelerate hard and stop hard?
just take it easy on the brakes, stop earlier then u usually do.
you will see a big difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your not going to get away from the dust w/ stock pads. Of course the type of driving you do is going determine how bad the problem gets as well as whether you have a caliper sticking...have heard of that happening on a couple 06 TC's already. I installled ceramics on a friends 04' back in Nov and I asked her last night how dust problem is. Her reply was "What dust?"
There isn't a squeaking issue either. I ran them on my SLS cad for a couple years as well as my fiancee's Jeep. I swear by them.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
break dust is great, its like fairy dust. just sprinkle a little on your sandwitch and your good to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.