Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my new release series 4.0 tomorrow and I will be installing my Alpine IVA-D310 right away. My question is for you peeps that have "brain" based dvd players. Where is the best place that you've found to mount the brain and run the wiring from? Since this will be my first Scion, are there any tricks to romoving the factory hu or popping sills or anything? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Open up the dash......

Couped on here should tell everyone all of the items he has inside the dash.....

alarm, computer components, xm radio I forget all of it. He has had his dash apart so much he needs a new bolt cover on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brand new to the forums and to scions, what is all involved in opening the dash. I have worked as an installer for the past three years so I'm not worried about not being able to do it. I am trying to save as much time as possible though. any hints would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's really not that hard to do.

Remove 2 outer AC knobs and the screw under each one.

Pull the radio shroud straight back and it will pop off. Some people grab at the AC vent holes and pull, but I find it easier to put a flathead screwdriver up under the bottom of the silver trim. You just have to be carefull not to mar it up.

Unplug the 3 wire harnesses and set the shroud aside.

Remove the 3 screws holding the dash in around the radio. If memory serves me correctly, you do not need to remove the radio. I could be wrong as I haven't had a radio in mine for a long time. You'll see it when you open it up.

Remove both A pillar panels. I just grab them at the top and pull towards the center of the car.

Remove both dash speaker covers. They just pop off.

Remove the speakers. 2 bolts and 1 wire harness for each one.

Remove the bolt under each speaker holding the dash to the firewall.

Remove the guage cluster. 2005 and up have a plastic screw holding them in. Run your finger under the top edge above the warnng lights and you will feel it. Once that's out, pull the whole thing straight back and it will pop out.

Unscrew and unplug the guage cluster. Set that aside.

There are 2 or 3 bolts under the cluster holding the dash down. Take those out.

Remove the square plastic hole cover above the glove box. (If you don't want it anymore, send it to me :))

Remove the bolt underneath it that anchors the airbag down.

That should be everything holding the upper dash in except for the passenger airbag wire. Once the dash is partially out, you will be able to reach in and unplug the airbag. The airbag comes out with the dash.

Reassembly is everything in reverse order. It seems like alot of work at first, but once you figure it out, it only takes 10 or 15 minutes. I highly recommend doing it if you are installing an alarm. It will be much easier to get to the door triggers and anything else you might need that is high up on the fuse panel.

There is a huge amount of room in the dash on the driver's side. You can mount the brain so high up that nobody would be able to reach it. There is a ton of room to work in there and you don't have to be stuck on your back under the dash. Be sure to make good connections, because you won't be able to just reach up and fix something that comes loose. Good luck :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have a problem...i was installing my dvd and now for some reason my blue/yellow wire has no power coming from it....i need help

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
isn't that the e-brake connection or foot brake? there shouldn't be any power coming from it. it's an input and something should be going to it rather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.