Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just curious how many Gs an xb can generate before it flips over.

i know that our cars are not top heavy but i'm curious if the tires will lose traction before the car will flip.

my suspension mods are tein h techs, c-one under brace, trd sway bar, greddy lower arm bar, dc sports front strut tower brace, riding on 17x7 wheels with falken ziex 512s. the car handles like a champ but i'm always a bit nervous about taking corners at higher speeds and pothole avoiding manuevers because the tires never seem to let go except in rain or snow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
56 views no one has an opinion? i'm the only one who worries about the xb flipping over? come on guys chime in.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Well......Since I don't have a fully setup suspension, i play it safe. The fastest I take a corner is 40mph. The corner, I'd say is almost 90 degree so there is a huge sway in the characteristics of the box. I do not have my sway bar on, and as said before, I don't have new shocks/struts; just TRD springs. I play it safe also because it's my DD, I can't chance wrecking this car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your input boom
i was just curious at how much it would take for it to flip.
in addition to the ghost i have to fight with for control of the steering wheel the suspension mods have made the steering become extremely sensitive. i'm not sure but i think the car also oversteers a bit. the other day driving 60mph on the highway with the wind blowing hard put the fear of god into me.

i've always tested out the handling of the car since i got it, drive the same local route in town every day, lots of curves, hills, potholes to avoid, and when i started driving 30mph into 90 degree corners i remember the tires used to squeal, ever since i put mod after mod on the car, i have not heard the tires squeal even with 15k miles on em. thats why i've been curious as to how much she can take or if it'll flip before they lose their grip.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
You should go get your alignment checked, and also check airpressure in your tires. Are they directional tires? I learned 17's play with the steering quite a bit, so you may have to fight it a lot more than other sizes. I think the higher up you get, the harder it gets to fight the ghost. I remember going from the 17's to the 15's and I was ecstatic at the loss of ghosting in the wheel.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Spiderbox... exactly what modifications do you have done to your box suspension wise? That could help us make a determination as to exactly how much you can push your xB.

For instance, the wife's car is only lowered 2" by Tanabe DF210s sitting on cheap Wanli 215/35/18s. On the other hand my car is still stock height sitting on factory tires. There is a world of difference in handling between the two. Just the change in spring rate and ride height on her car make it much less susceptible to cross winds and far more easy to toss around in the twisties.

The car definitely doesn't oversteer though. It has a much greater tendency to "push" through the turns due to understeer. I am sure I will be adding a rear sway bar to her car sometime this year to help address this problem. She probably doesn't even notice it, but I do.

She does notice that her car is HORRIBLE in the rain though. All because of those stupid cheap, LOUD, tires. (I didn't choose the tires, it was part of a deal with a tire shop that owed me.)

I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable driving my xB around a corner the way I can drive the wife's. But I would be far more comfortable driving mine in the rain. However, once we get some decent tires under her car, it will be a much better all around / all (California) weather driver.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I've taken my xB through some hard turns with no worries.

My suspension mods consist of:
Tein Coilovers (Rear Dropped all the way and Front can go another 1/2")
APR Front Frame Brace
APR Mid Brace
TRD Rear Sway Bar
Tanabe Front Strut Tower Bar
17x7" wheels +33 front offset and +23 rear offset
215/40/17 Toyo Proxes Tires

I've gone through a 90 degress corner going 60 and had no problems and didn't break loose as far as traction and not enough body roll to flip me over.

I've also taken the on ramp (In So. Cal) from the 22 fwy going east to 57/5 North Bound at 75 MPH. If your in the area you know the turn and haven't had any issues.

The xB with enough suspension mods should be that easy to flip over...

Ill be going to the Cruise meet this sunday through the Canyons.. This is where I am going to try and push my car a little and see what she can do.. obviously only if its safe...

Ill be bring her to button willow hopefully soon and track the car and see what times I can pull off

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ill be going to the Cruise meet this sunday through the Canyons.. This is where I am going to try and push my car a little and see what she can do.. obviously only if its safe...
^ Ok, you’re in front lol
No way folks like me with stock suspension are ‘gonna keep up. Hey, if Clockwork Orange comes out you two can see who makes better time. To my knowledge he has every suspension mod ever made for the xB (and a few that weren’t).

BTW there is a video flouting around YouTube of some moronic teenagers flipping their xB (the kids were fine). If I was driving like that and crashed I wouldn’t want to share it with the whole world. But that’s me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
^ Ok, you’re in front lol
No way folks like me with stock suspension are ‘gonna keep up. Hey, if Clockwork Orange comes out you two can see who makes better time. To my knowledge he has every suspension mod ever made for the xB (and a few that weren’t).

BTW there is a video flouting around YouTube of some moronic teenagers flipping their xB (the kids were fine). If I was driving like that and crashed I wouldn’t want to share it with the whole world. But that’s me.
Hahahaha.. Thats cool with me....
I sold Clockwork Orange my bB Frame brace so I've seen his car... He has tons of work...

But I didn't want my car to be that stiff so I just went with what best fit my needs.. so far so good....

Ill see you guys this weekend tho..

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you really wanna know what the limits are...go try it! hehehe
if ya flip over or spin out....then ya know;)

hehhehehe.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spiderbox... exactly what modifications do you have done to your box suspension wise? That could help us make a determination as to exactly how much you can push your xB.
tein h techs
c-one under brace
trd sway bar
greddy lower arm bar
dc sports front strut tower brace
17x7 wheels with falken ziex 512s.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Those skinny little 185's will lose traction before the thing flips. Thats assuming the pavement is smooth though. If you hit a nice sized crack, dip, or pothole just right, all bets are off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've taken a long swooping freeway on ramp (the type that you turn right and go up and over to the left) at 80-85. I can't tell you exactly, because I was busy watching the road! I do know however that the tires started to break loose. I'm running 18's with a 205/35/18 tire. I also have the cheap Megan Racing Springs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.