Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I knew it would happen. They started squealin' about 1k miles ago, not the constant nasty noise that I hear most Chryslers sportin', just the high pitched squeal when the pads are initially pressed and then it goes away. Well, I used the rest of the pads tonight and the indicator broke through. The rotors still look freshly new, all shiny and no grooves or pits or anything of the sort, so I do not think I will need to have them turned. I DID find the D.I.Y. from BoXBoy (good ol' search function actually did something), so yes, I have seen it, I am just creating this thread to hear about other people's installs and how easy it was to perform. Also, what are your opinions on the aftermarket OEM replacement pads, the Toyota OEM pads, and then the high performance pads? I'm really looking for something that I can just swap out the shims on the factory pads and slap em on for another 22k or so.

Lemme hear your thoughts!! And thanks guys, this is the BEST community ever, and you ALL know it!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If your anything like me the brake dust drives me nuts. I would find a set from somewhere cheap that had "reduced" brake dust. Maybe some with a life time warranty so I would never have to buy one again.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Lifetime pads sound great in theory. But there is always a price to pay. Usually these pads are especially hard to keep them from wearing. They do not "bite" as well and they end up causing excessive wear to the rotors. So you really have to ask yourself... WHERE, not IF, you want to spend your money.

When the time finally arrives to replace the brake pads on either my wife's or my xB I will probably be going with something like the Hawk HPS pads. They have a great reputation on the xB, provide increased performance, and are reasonably priced. If you insist on a ceramic pad, Hawk also has their Ceramic Performance pads.

Buying a performance pad like this you won't have a lifetime pad. But you won't have poor braking and worn rotors. Rotor and pad wear would be right along the lines of your OEM pads, but you get increased performance.

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
Boom, call Keith, he just did my pads and they are great. Call me if you need the number.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim, what did that run you? PM me if you have to. However, do you have a C clamp? If so, I'd really just like to do a swap and throw new pads on there.

Honestly, brake dust only bothers me if you're someone that doesn't wash your car every now and again. For example, my mom's contour (they got the POS running again) has only had the wheels cleaned while I was driving the car (during one of my times of desparity). The front wheels are no longer the silver color they came in, they are nice and black. Kinda like those people who have BMW's and never clean em.....ANYWAYS. LOL.

I've had ceramics on other cars, and eh.....I wasn't impressed. I have used high performance non-ceramic pads on a few other cars and I liked them. I just wanted something cheap, that'll last another 22k, and was easily swapped out.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We ended up going to a dealership today - we bought wheel locks for ally's xA and they didn't work on the wheels we put on them, so we had to take them back.

I figured the 48 bucks after tax wasn't too bad to spend so I ended up getting OEM Toyota/Scion pads. HOPEFULLY Tim and I can get them on tonight, so I don't have to inconvenience ally any more than I am.

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
dude, I am really going to have to start charging you. Oh wait, I sponsor you.:rolleyes:

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim did a once over of the pads and NO the indicator did NOT come through. I have NO IDEA what it was that made that horrible noise, but the pads still have some life left.... I'm confused....Maybe the 501's rubbed a bit at full lock?

Anyways, we had a huge discussion over it, and how these cars just make noises from time to time. Well, I have the pads for when they do need to be done, which will probably be before the trip to Cali. I'll keep you all informed.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
hey Boom

check the dust cover in front setup i hear there pretty thin and if bumped during suspension work or tire change they can start rubbing making a squeal like pad wear indicators. also heard even if not rubbing if there bent just right at certain situations they will squeal from vibration. ;)

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya on that. Well the noise went away, all on it's own. Actually the night we did the camber shims. I didn't want to drive it in fear of hurting the rotors, but when Ally drove it, she said she didn't hear anything (go figure) and then when I drove it and took it to Tim's, it magically made no noise (go figure, AGAIN).

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bah, I'm not worried about it. The Toyota OEM pads have been the best OEM pad I've ever used. These cars stop incredibly well. I don't plan on getting slotted/drilled rotors, but at some point I will upgrade the brake lines to SS.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Could've been a rock or something making the squeal too. You never know with these noises.

Anyway, good job getting the OEM pads. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. There's two things that every Toyota car is super picky about. One is plugs and the other is pads. These cars just seem to work better with the OEM parts in those two places.

I have a pretty damn big sample size here and we've tried just about every brand on the market with these cars. The OEM pads just work better, last longer, and are MORE QUIET. Odd, but that's how it is.

See ya!

-Alex

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Alex! I'll keep in mind to purchase the OEM plugs too. I know people say after market produces like an hp, but eh.....It's just like how people like after market pads too. I will stick to the OEM pads and plugs for this car. Makes sense to me, also since they work so well as it is.

Like earlier said though, I will still probably upgrade the brake lines themselves, too squishy in the xB, but Ally's xA has a brick for stopping, feels good for the foot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.