Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find info for awhile so I thought I'd register and ask the good folks here.

I'm a fan, overall, of my 2nd gen xB, but like most other folks I keep daydreaming about how much better it could be. For example:
  • AWD
  • Turbo
  • Upgraded suspension
  • Wider tires
  • Larger brakes
  • and so on

Now, the most controversial thing on the list is probably the AWD. And I have read my fair share of people just hurling insults at folks saying they want to do a conversion, but I understand why. Converting the stock scion xB frame to AWD is complicated, expensive, time consuming, and then you would have trouble with the engine mounting correctly and so on.

BUT, has anyone tried to just body swap? (I know I say "Just body swap" like it's easy, and it's not, but it's easier).

I have an opportunity to buy an AWD 2010 Toyota Matrix S from a wrecker. The frame, engine, and drivetrain are fine, the body is just smashed. IT has the same 2azfe engine (with similar miles as mine), same transmission, same wheelbase, etc. The frames might be slightly different, but I'm not sure exactly by how much.

So, my question, ignoring all of the people who will tell me it's stupid, is would it be possible to remove the body, from the wrecked Matrix leaving only the engine, drivetrain, etc, and replace it with the body/interior from my xB? I know it would be a ton of work, and probably a huge headache, but in theory everything should match up pretty well, right? What would the largest hurdles be?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually thought about that first, after all the xB is the same as a Subaru Dex or a Toyota bb (both of which offer AWD/4WD). The issue I ran into was that neither of those vehicles are available in the US. I could import one in, but that is itself a large, logistical problem. Plus, those were only available ith the smaller 1.4/1.3 liter engines. Which I why I thought of the Matrix, which I could pick up fairly cheap.

I've never seen an AWD/4WD xB in the US, but if anyone has done something similar please let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.