Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
EvilDoer/Regular hero
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the 3 aluminum billet grills compared to the factory billet-esque mixed with 2 honey comb grills but i noticed the stock "grill" completely blocks out direct airflow on the o5 xb with stock intake.

Has anyone that with the aluminum billet grills noticed an increase or decrease on mpg's? Also, do you notice any weirdness, or have to avoid rainy weather more with direct access of air straight into the stock intake?

My main goal is to retain or increase mpg's without having to avoid certain scenarios but making it look sexy is a plus. I'm sure the stock air box has water deterrents but i don't want to have to rely on something that was designed to be a second measure of defense.

Thoughts?

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
I can't speak about the billet grills you're considering, but I do have practical experience with our 1G xB intakes, and with water splash into air intakes.

I built this warm air intake for my 1G xB. Bottom line, increasing the air intake temperature 60 degrees above ambient didn't improve my mpg one iota. I doubt that cooling it to ambient would improve my mpg, either.

I've experienced water splash bad enough to kill an engine three times, once in my IHC Scout 4X4, and twice in a Dodge Ram Maxivan. Each time, water splash entered the factory air horn and soaked the paper air filter, causing the fibers to swell and starve the engine of air. If I'd been running an oil-soaked foam filter, water might have entered one or more cylinders, causing hydro-lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a 2008,the stock lower grille looks like it could invite alot of stuff into your radiator. Covering it seems like it would cut down on cooling. The temp gauge runs just below half. Is that a normal reading? This is in cold weather too!

Also, has anyone seen a custom grille that has vertical lines to it? All I've seen are mesh and horizontal designs. One diamond cut outs. That was different.

·
Pishtaco
3,956 Posts
Just bought a 2008,the stock lower grille looks like it could invite alot of stuff into your radiator. Covering it seems like it would cut down on cooling. The temp gauge runs just below half. Is that a normal reading? This is in cold weather too!
This time of year, I run a lower grill block, so my engine will reach operating temperature faster. There's obviously no danger of overheating, and cold engine operation is a killer of engine life. Yes, that's normal operating temp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The upper grills should be solid and not let air thru. The radiator uses the two lower openings for cooling. Most people who have upper grills with opening have lots of trouble with dirty engine compartments.

·
EvilDoer/Regular hero
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, i live in oklahoma so i already have a dirty engine compartment with stock grills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.