Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a mountain bike and I like to go riding. What I've been doing is loading up the bike in the back and going. Lately I've had a friend want to go but 2 bikes in have been kind of tight...

Question is: Anyone here mount a bike rack to the back area of their xB and which model is it. I'm short so a top rack is 100% out of the question. I'm looking for something that can hold 2 bikes pretty much.

Thanks

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Haven't seen any, but it sounds like something that could be welded up with a little angle iron, and a couple minutes of planning.

·
-=(( Gcat ))=-
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I smell project?

I wonder if the trunk mount ones from walmart or target will fit? I guess I can spend the $50 and find out...

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
http://www.sarisproducts.com/products/bones3.htm
right here will fit on alost any car takes only about 5 min to install. i worked at a bike shop for over 3 years and we constantly sold these things. i've takes 50+ mile trips with 3 35+ pound bmx bikes on this ting and i've had no problems. if ya have questions let me know cause i'm selling mine as i no longer ride.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
the bones rack new is 140 i'm selling mine for 90. the hitch racks, well good ones, will cost about 200 plus getting a hitch installed. although Soft Ride does have a bbq attatchment for theirs!!!

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Hitches on Ebay 140 Max - I've been looking got a project on my hands - Bought my son (8 months) a lifted wagon and need a way to cart it around.....More to come as I get the project done - Now back to the Bike problem.............

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I've been using this one for about 10 years. It worked great on my Blazer and works just as well on my Box.

They run about 60 bucks at REI and carry three bikes.
I run the bottom two straps to the bottom of the door rather than the rear lip. It's stronger that way.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
not to be a jerk taz but the bones rack is better. it had individual spots for the bike and straps to keep it form swaying back an forth when braking and accelerating. so it won't scratch the car or the bikes which is a plus when you have a nice car and 2 bike worth over $2000 each!!! also it's waaaaay more adjustable so you can keep the bikes level.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
yellow_sub said:
not to be a jerk taz but the bones rack is better. it had individual spots for the bike and straps to keep it form swaying back an forth when braking and accelerating. so it won't scratch the car or the bikes which is a plus when you have a nice car and 2 bike worth over $2000 each!!! also it's waaaaay more adjustable so you can keep the bikes level.
I used the rack to haul my kids bikes and my cheap ass mountain bike around. With a couple of bungee cords it worked fine for me. Never had a scratch or lost a bike. There are separator "bumps" that keep the bikes from hitting each other on mine.

EDIT: If I could afford $2000 for a bike, I'd hire someone to ride me around on it.:eek: :D

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
well i worked at a bike shop for 3+ years so it was a bit over 2000 retail but i sure as hell didn't pay that much for them!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
yellow_sub said:
well i worked at a bike shop for 3+ years so it was a bit over 2000 retail but i sure as hell didn't pay that much for them!
OK, then I can still hang out with you. Glad to see you're not one of those rich stuck up Cinzano riders! Ciao!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Everytime I go pick up my daughter from school I see an xb that I guess belongs to one of the teachers or staff, but it always has a bike rack on it as well, kinda looks like surfcitylocal's pic above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bike rack solution (with photo)

I used the Yakima Superjoe3 from REI at $100. It took about ten minutes to do the initial fit and it holds three pretty heavy BMX bikes. I've logged several thousand miles with only a little rubbing of the paint above the license plate. It's easy-on and easy-off. Getting bikes on and off is OK, too.

It works well for me.

--OWD

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
yellow_sub said:
the bones rack new is 140 i'm selling mine for 90. the hitch racks, well good ones, will cost about 200 plus getting a hitch installed. although Soft Ride does have a bbq attatchment for theirs!!!
Is yours a 3 bike rack? What's the color? Do you have any pictures of it installed on your xB?

Thanks!

I'm very interested in buying if you still have it.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.