Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2008 Scion XB
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade the positve battery cable from the alternator and starter connections and all the grounds. I plan on using knukoncepts cable. The question I have is how much cable to buy. I dont want to end up short and have to buy more
Thanks

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,447 Posts
15 ft. of power and 5 ft. of ground should be enough for what you are doing. It's 7-8 ft. for the alternator since it runs along the back of the engine and another couple feet for the starter. Each ground shouldn't take more than 1.5 - 2 ft. each for battery to chassis and engine to chassis.

·
2008 Scion XB
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that's good to know. I'm getting new positive/negative terminals too, any suggestion on what brand to buy? Also how many ring terminals do I need for the connections? And will 5/16" rings work for everything?

·
1,447 Posts
Ok that's good to know. I'm getting new positive/negative terminals too, any suggestion on what brand to buy? Also how many ring terminals do I need for the connections? And will 5/16" rings work for everything?
I have Tsunami terminals on mine and they work well. You'll need rings for the alternator on both ends and the starter on one end. The grounds will need three rings total, engine to chassis and the chassis side of the battery to chassis cable. The starter is definitely a 5/16" ring, the others I'm not completely sure of. Also you will need to open up the harness going into the fuse box as the alternator line runs up into it.

·
2008 Scion XB
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Tsunami terminals on mine and they work well. You'll need rings for the alternator on both ends and the starter on one end. The grounds will need three rings total, engine to chassis and the chassis side of the battery to chassis cable. The starter is definitely a 5/16" ring, the others I'm not completely sure of. Also you will need to open up the harness going into the fuse box as the alternator line runs up into it.
Where did you buy your tsunami terminals? No one online seems to sell them. Also do you have a picture of your battery? I want to see what all the connections look like hooked up

·
1,447 Posts
Got them off of Ebay.

I can show you where the battery would normally be but it's been moved into the spare tire well in the hatch. Might actually be better as you can see the wires without the battery and air box in the way.

You can see the 0/1-ga line coming from the battery to the starter, there is also an 8-ga going from the starter to the fuse block, you can see some of it off to the right side. The blue wire is the 4-ga coming from the alternator to the fuse block.

Here's an older pic when I had a battery up front and had my Voodoo terminals on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey @GregS can you recommend a positive battery terminal that allows for multiple lines to run to the battery for like audio and stuff so that I can clean my bay up a bit?

·
1,447 Posts
Hey @GregS can you recommend a positive battery terminal that allows for multiple lines to run to the battery for like audio and stuff so that I can clean my bay up a bit?
Most companies make terminals with multiple connections but you would be better served by running one large gauge line back to your equipment and using a distribution block there. This way you only have the one line to deal with.

Although you can't really see it in the second pic I posted above the positive terminal had an 8-ga line on it for the fuse block, a 4-ga line for the starter, and a 1/0-ga cable running back to a distribution block and from there to my audio equipment and air ride with a single 200-amp fuse just forward of the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts