Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Before you guys start making fun of me,let me explain what is going on. Dont laugh though it is true... I was talking to dealer hear in Oklahoma and he was telling me about how to up mygas mileage by 8 mpg...... Now stay with me on this i searched every where for this and coulnd find anything..... he said there all this fuel treatments out there you can use but all the do is (get this)grind up moth balls and put some dried and grinded octane boost in them and if you use mothballs it is basically like using a higher octane causeing better preformance and gas mileage:eek: ..... i actually have a product that usees it the dont say they do but i have some of it and man that is all you can smell. here is a link to there site http://www.gas-mileage-pills.com/
dont ask just tell me what you think... would it do long term damage to the car. i also have a meeting with one of the distributers monday to get a list of thing s actually in it i will let you know

·
Registered
485 Posts
these things are never a good idea. my buddy has an accord he tried this on and the pills did not fully dissolve. And believe me, that can cause some serious problems when you have put about 30 pills in your car after 15 fill ups. You will clog somethings up that can really damage your car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
those only apply to car that are required to run on premium if your engine is designed for regular octane then octane boosted are pretty much useless

like if you go the resterant and order a 5 course meal and fill up on bread and salad. the rest is wasted and unused. same thing with cars designed to run on regular. i still occasionally will put a tank of prem in to flush out stuff but thats it

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Sounds like BS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that is does not seem right and well, now my radio station sells it on are website but ours is not a pill it is a powder. i refuse to use it but the owner of the station put it in his truck and got 10 miles to the gallon more...
Or at least that is what he said. i think that it is just a way to make money but hey it is selling like hot cakes kinda wish i would of thought about grinding up moth balls and selling it as a performance mod..... would help pay of my xB.....

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Few years back I remember that I was talking to my dad about his racing days back in the 50's and 60's, and he said that they would use mothballs in their tank before the race. It was the poor mans octane booster. However, he did say that it was hell on the fuel system and ate up the piston rings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not sure about the mothballs, but I work with someone who has been mixing a little acetone in with each tank of gas. He's all about tracking numbers & variances, and on his Lexus Rx 300 he says he's getting about 3 miles per gallon more.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
kevs_toaster said:
I'm not sure about the mothballs, but I work with someone who has been mixing a little acetone in with each tank of gas. He's all about tracking numbers & variances, and on his Lexus Rx 300 he says he's getting about 3 miles per gallon more.
i saw that on mythbusters and they said it wasnt true. it didnt work.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Switched to Mobil 1(synthetic) last Thursday. First tank, mileage jumped to 37.03. That's Honda Civic territory.

·
Registered
974 Posts
All you have to do for better mileage is put an exhaust and an intake on youe car and then be a little lighter on the gas pedal.

I did that and I AVERAGE about 36mpg. Stock I averaged about 28mpg.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ctruss said:
All you have to do for better mileage is put an exhaust and an intake on youe car and then be a little lighter on the gas pedal.

I did that and I AVERAGE about 36mpg. Stock I averaged about 28mpg.

i dont know about you but i have an AEM CAI and an exhaust set up and the rest of the other mods and i wish i could average 36mpg i only avg about 30-32 mpg...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was not trying to tell you how to get gas mileage i was just wanting to see if everyone thought it was as crazy as me. this is not a mod thread just general discussion... i would love to put all that stuff on right away but i have a wife and 2 kids and money is not just laying around... anything that helps i guess

·
Registered
974 Posts
bbRydr said:
i dont know about you but i have an AEM CAI and an exhaust set up and the rest of the other mods and i wish i could average 36mpg i only avg about 30-32 mpg...
Well I don't know if this is the difference, but I have a full cat-back system I built myself out of mandrel bent tubing. I think axle-back systems are worthless.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I tried the acetone in my gas and didnt gain any millage. The best way to gain gas millage is to NOT put the pedal to the floor when acelerating just acelerate smoothly from a stop. Also set the cruise at at the speed limit and dont drive like a bat out of hell all the time. Slower speeds increase millage, thats a fact anyone can verify, is the engine is turning less rpm then its using less gas, go figure, rocket science!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
do not use these gas pills they are crap and do not work. i know a few ppl that have tried these and has seen no results and on guy messed up his car by using these. also you cant even get this anymore the gov. shut them down. if you want something that is going to give you better fuel mileage then there is a product out there that will guaranteed to give you anywhere between 7 to 19% increase in fuel mileage you can only get it from someone in network marketing. this product has been used by the gov. for over ten years and is now available to the public.

you you might be interested in getting this product i have become an authorized distributor for it so you can pm me and we can work something out so you can get it. the name of this product is Ethos and i have had ppl tell me how well it works.

for example:

1: this guy my mom knows drives a turbo diesel pickup which was getting between 18 to 20 mpg started using this product and his mpg jumped up to about 30 to 32 mpg.

2: step father has and 07 Honda fit (gets unreal mpg anyway) uses product and gain about 5 mpg more

3: i use it but have not really kept up with how much more mpg i have been getting but i can say i go further on a full tank than before

now i am not trying to down the other product because i deal with this one but i have researched the facts and listened to the testimonies and figured out that Ethos is the better product.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Lt's deael wtih a gyu taht cat'n sepll coerrclty adn ueses sxith garde eglnish!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Over the years, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has tested myriad gas-saving devices that burst onto the consumer scene: devices that bleed air into the carburetor or bubble air through a container of water and antifreeze mixture, fuel-line gadgets that heat the gas before it enters the carburetor, magnets that clamp to the inside or outside of the fuel line to change the gasoline's molecular structure, and metallic fuel line additives with dissimilar metals that claim to ionize the fuel.

Experts say they all have one thing in common. "They don't work."

Go to the link shown below for a list of products tested.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

Neither ground up moth balls nor Ethos are included on the list.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.