Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone just wondering if anyone has done anything to there xb's that made it get better gas mileage. I know it does pretty good already, but the more the better, especially with todays gas prices. Does cold air intake and exhaust help ? or hardly noticeable ? well anyways Im probably going to be picking one up within the next couple of weeks and trying to get as much info as possible..........Great Site !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,896 Posts
get alloy wheels instead of the stock steels. that will help. not too sure on the other stuff. not too good with the mechanical stuff.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
The more power you add with intake, header, exhaust should worsen your mileage.

I could be wrong, I get around 25mpg avg. in town.

Intake
Header
Exhaust
Light Weight Crank Pulley
18'' Wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
A cold air, filter and header or exhaust shouldnt hurt, it should allow that little 1.5L to breath. We shall seee. The wifes RS3 gets 35, i put the YDR short cold air with K&N on and we will see what happens. I am thinking of doing a short header as well. I found them on ebay for $70
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I would think that the exhaust would help. If it breathes better it should run better and get better gas mileage...am I right ? Power is nice but right now my biggest concern is gas mileage I know there are some mechanics out there that can confirm this can we hear from you guys ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Drive downhill more. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
go ahead and free up the car.. i/h/e.. jst be easy on the gas.. and try to coast as much as possible.. :]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
Don't foget to put it in neutral also :p
or you can go outside the car and push it.. while its in neutral and you'll have FANTASTIC gas mileage :)

just kidding :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Padanky said:
The more power you add with intake, header, exhaust should worsen your mileage.

I could be wrong, I get around 25mpg avg. in town.

Intake
Header
Exhaust
Light Weight Crank Pulley
18'' Wheels
here is my list
intake
exhaust
stage 3 clutch
aluminum flywheel
light weight crank pulley
cam controller
nology wires
perring fuel rail
aluminum radaitor
denso plugs
and i am at 27 mpg around town....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
1LowXB said:
here is my list
intake
exhaust
stage 3 clutch
aluminum flywheel
light weight crank pulley
cam controller
nology wires
perring fuel rail
aluminum radaitor
denso plugs
and i am at 27 mpg around town....
ergh! i gotta catch up to u!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
The best thing you can do to improve fuel economy above all else is to reduce weight. Replace the hood and hatch with CF, take anything you dont need or use out of the car, and anything you can replace with CF, because all of those little mods add up.

I gained 4.7 MPG on my old beater 94 escort hatch by gutting it down to only a drivers seat and no carpet or anything lol. I wouldn't do that to a box tho :D.
 

·
One Armed Bandit
Joined
·
164 Posts
I have the TRD cold air kit with everything else being stock. I average 33 on the highway. Don't know about around town since most of my driving is interstate. One thing I try to do (seldom succeed) is to keep it at or below 3 grand, which is around 70 mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
ranman said:
I have the TRD cold air kit with everything else being stock. I average 33 on the highway. Don't know about around town since most of my driving is interstate. One thing I try to do (seldom succeed) is to keep it at or below 3 grand, which is around 70 mph.
LMAO!!!!!!! U must drive an AT, cuz w/ my MT, I'm at like 3600-3900rpm at 70 mph. (damn, too many achronims<-spell check please)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I'm of the opinion that MPG has more to do with how you drive what you got rather than what ya add.
I got around 32-33 mostly city right out of the box. Got 32.5 while pulling a light weight trailer 2,600 miles through some fairly mountainous areas. This last tank of city driving looks like it is going to come in at over 34 mpg. The only thing that I have changed is wheels and I'm now getting "summer gas".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
SHOOBOX said:
I'm of the opinion that MPG has more to do with how you drive what you got rather than what ya add.
I got around 32-33 mostly city right out of the box. Got 32.5 while pulling a light weight trailer 2,600 miles through some fairly mountainous areas. This last tank of city driving looks like it is going to come in at over 34 mpg. The only thing that I have changed is wheels and I'm now getting "summer gas".
i agree.. its more like who's driving the car.. then whats in the car.. the easy you are on the gas the better mileage you'll get
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
when my tank flashes empty and I fill up... I usually still have 1 to 2 gallons left in the tank... whats up with that?? that means I'm only using 10 or 11 gallons.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top