Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
lets play beer pong!
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im synapse and my quest is to remove my rear emblems what is the best way and will save my finish
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
I use a heat gun, unless its warm and the sun is out, 10 lbs(?) fishing line or dental floss, for badge removal, and 3M adhesive remover to remove the leftover double stick tape, wash the debadged area, and wax.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
I wanna do a how-to, but everything is done. I'll do one with my spacers, ooh wow, real hard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
Good question! I was going to ask that cuz somebody asked me if I was going to debadge my box. I didn't really think about it, but after seeing what it looks like on her box I wanted to do.

Thanks for the info Brad!:)
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
Tammie,

You're welcome!

If my right hand and arm was strong enuff, I'd do it right now for you. And NO, I wouldn't charge my friends for doing a simple mod like that either. Heck, I've done suspension changes in my driveway or their driveway and not charged anyone.
 

·
Egistered Ruser
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
just as a reminder, for the love of god do NOT use paper towels to clean up residue from the area. I did my "xB" badge and had a friend help me (not bright with cars, not a good idea) I got the badge off and walked away with it. Came back and he was wiping the area to clean the tape off with paper towels. Scratched the CRAP out of the paint. So I had to put graphics over the space I wanted blank or else it was a scratched up cloudy space where the xB used to be.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
Dew said:
just as a reminder, for the love of god do NOT use paper towels to clean up residue from the area. I did my "xB" badge and had a friend help me (not bright with cars, not a good idea) I got the badge off and walked away with it. Came back and he was wiping the area to clean the tape off with paper towels. Scratched the CRAP out of the paint. So I had to put graphics over the space I wanted blank or else it was a scratched up cloudy space where the xB used to be.
Ouch! I did it like Brad did, used the wife's blowdryer and waxed dental floss. Most of the adhesive will roll off by rubbing it gently while it's warm with your finger. Finished up with bug and tar remover, polish and wax. Less than half an hour to do both emblems, and no scratches!
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
That was the third or fourth mod I did to the xB. First two I did around the corner from the dealership on the way to work. I pulled the dealer paper plates and license plate frame off, and peeled off the registration from the lower windshield corner. Then it was the tint the third day I owned thae car, so the debadge must have been fourth, followed by springs and wheels.
 

·
Egistered Ruser
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
yeah, I tint every car I buy right away. I think I've tinted all my cars and trucks within 3-4 days after purchasing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Hair dryer and Goo Gone did the trick for me. I didn't even have to buff it out. I just used a micro fiber towel. to get the stuff that didn't come off along with the Goo Gone. Next is either the perrin pully and the rear wiper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
Hair dryer and Goo Gone did the trick for me. I didn't even have to buff it out. I just used a micro fiber towel. to get the stuff that didn't come off along with the Goo Gone.
same here :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
squirrel said:
Tammie,

You're welcome!

If my right hand and arm was strong enuff, I'd do it right now for you. And NO, I wouldn't charge my friends for doing a simple mod like that either. Heck, I've done suspension changes in my driveway or their driveway and not charged anyone.
That's nice of you and I know you won't charge. But you know, I gotta learn how to do this stuff. LOL!!:D This shouldn't be too hard and I think it would be kinda fun to do. I like these DIY articles and information especially since I am really getting into this modding thing now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
just rip them off like a bandaid i swear it wont hurt rub left overs off with finger watch out for blisters on fingers
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
short bus said:
just rip them off like a bandaid i swear it wont hurt rub left overs off with finger watch out for blisters on fingers
Oh yeah, forgot that part.........
dtrain619 said:
Most of the adhesive will roll off by rubbing it gently while it's warm with your finger.
 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
squirrel said:
That was the third or fourth mod I did to the xB. First two I did around the corner from the dealership on the way to work. I pulled the dealer paper plates and license plate frame off, and peeled off the registration from the lower windshield corner. Then it was the tint the third day I owned thae car, so the debadge must have been fourth, followed by springs and wheels.
Yeah, as soon as I found out that there were no alignment holes behind them they were gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
you can use lighter fluid like I did, but make sure to clean up really good after doing it. I used the sun on a hot day and dental floss to remove the "xB" then I used the lighter fluid and my finger to rub off the rest. Little note, my thumb was sore for a day after all the rubbing. Then I "dab"cleaned any excess lighter fluid washed, claybar'd, and waxed right after. Fun!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,896 Posts
well i have to park my car outside so the day i did it my emblem were already sort of hot and then i just used a hair dryer to finish heating them up. i didn't floss or anything else they just peeled right off.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top