Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we don't have a D.I.Y. Folder yet (Admin is working on this) and you all know that I'm itching for an easy and inexpensive DIY project. I have ideas rolling around with painting to what I am going to do when I take the rear wiper off!! ;) :p

Here's what I have in mind...
I would like to paint the black exterior grille and I would also like to paint the silver interior accents and maybe some of the black, not sure yet. Plus, I have a gauge pillar that's black that I would like to paint as well.

Now...
What is the best brand paint to use for exterior and interior?? Is spray paint better and then the brush type good for touch ups and areas missed when spray painting?? Also, I will be adding some "sparkle" to the paint.

I know a lot of you have done this and have a better idea of what's good and what's not. Plus, I know patience is the key. Your help is very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!:p

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I go to San Leandro Color on E.14th St in San Leandro for factory paint that comes in a spray can. I've painted the bBist prototype eyelids and the first rear lip on my center exit exhaust w/ it. Just make sure when you spray, you use at least two coats of primer, then two coats of color, then at least two coats of clear.

If you need help w/ it, let me know when I get back.

The spray can of color is around $20 w/ tax.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
squirrel said:
I go to San Leandro Color on E.14th St in San Leandro for factory paint that comes in a spray can. I've painted the bBist prototype eyelids and the first rear lip on my center exit exhaust w/ it. Just make sure when you spray, you use at least two coats of primer, then two coats of color, then at least two coats of clear.

If you need help w/ it, let me know when I get back.

The spray can of color is around $20 w/ tax.
Hey, that's close to home and the price is pretty reasonable, too. So I would have to primer first with the 2 coats and then the color and then the clear. It looks like I'm buying the primer, the actual color and the clear. How long do I let each paint session sit? I can primer one day, then the next day I do the actual color and the last day is clear? Or is it by hours??

Now this is for the exterior and interior paint??

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Regardless, prep is what's going to make the difference between a good paint job and one that looks like you picked up a can and started squirting. (My 2 cents.) Take your time.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I just take all my parts to the paint shop where I work and throw the painter $10 and he takes care of the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dtrain619 said:
Regardless, prep is what's going to make the difference between a good paint job and one that looks like you picked up a can and started squirting. (My 2 cents.) Take your time.
I have little patience, but I guess I will need lots of it for DIY projects like painting. This is a good start though plus I can say that I did it (just like I put on my vinyl dash kit) without the help of my man. LOL!:D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Padanky said:
I just take all my parts to the paint shop where I work and throw the painter $10 and he takes care of the rest.
Looks good!:)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention the prep stuff.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Scion-Doll said:
Prep? Ok, do tell, I'm lost.:confused:
Stuff like degreased surfaces and the proper sanding for the finish you want.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
squirrel said:
Stuff like degreased surfaces and the proper sanding for the finish you want.
Good thing you and Dion told me about prep cuz I didn't know I had to degrease and sand stuff down. Well, at least I will be kept busy while looking for a job...LOL!!:D

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Yeah, you don't want that "orange peel" look on your parts after all that work.

(Orange peel - Looks just like the skin of an orange. Not very attractive on painted parts!)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone suggest a Brand Name that works well? I may get the prep stuff and paint and need to know where to go (in Fremont/Newark)? Would I find better product at a hardware store or a craft store?

Sorry to be such a pest, but this newbie needs to know.

Thanks so much!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.