Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painted my tails today something ive been wanting to do since i first got the box. I think it looks eleventy times better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I used Krylon Stained Glass paint, bought it at Michaels for $7.99 and still had some Krylon clear coat in the garage.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks real good. Did you spray the inside of the tail light or the outside. I have been wanting to do this but thought you had to open up the tail light.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Looks schweetacular! I may just have to pick up some paint and do mine at some point.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
man i been all up and down the block trying to find some candy apple transparent, i finally gave up. i wasnt aware that krylon made this paint. SCHWEEEET. i still cant get the damn light open to do it on the inside. out sides here i come. That looks really good!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys!

man i been all up and down the block trying to find some candy apple transparent, i finally gave up. i wasnt aware that krylon made this paint. SCHWEEEET. i still cant get the damn light open to do it on the inside. out sides here i come. That looks really good!
yeah i bought the candy apple at hobby town, but all the DIYs said to do the inside. i didnt feel like going through all that trouble. the krylon is meant to stand up to direct sunlight, and the clear just helps protect it more. took only about 2hrs from start, to drying, to re-installing.

Lookin good!

How many coats of read and clear?
i would say i used about 8-9 passes for each light, and 2-3 of clear.

did you sand it down first? or just straight spray over?
just cleaned them with simple green and started to spray, no fish eye or bubbling.

they make an orange/yellow stained glass. i want my fender indicators to be amber (must still be the Honda still in me) im going to pick up a can of that and see how that works out.

·
----*bB Squad*----
463 Posts
Or I can sell you my already amber'ed out sidemarkers for like $20 shipped or something... Let Me know

Oh ya by the way nice tails!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
maybe spray the inside for those that want to do this. Finish could get scratched, but not if the inside is painted. Think about that. But yeah, all red tails are the way to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe spray the inside for those that want to do this. Finish could get scratched, but not if the inside is painted. Think about that. But yeah, all red tails are the way to go.
it could get scratched, but im going back over them next weekend with some true automotive clear when i paint a friends bumper for him. i didnt have any today and im pretty impatient haha.

·
Bad Choice McGee
240 Posts
Consider this at your own discression. One of the guys in my DSM club was able to paint the inside of his side markers with black paint. All he did was dip his lights in hot/boiling water for a little bit and that softened the glue attaching everything together. I'm not sure if this would even remotely work on the xB tail lights, but hey, worth a mention I guess.

Nick Manning
(just incase sigs are needed here)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Consider this at your own discression. One of the guys in my DSM club was able to paint the inside of his side markers with black paint. All he did was dip his lights in hot/boiling water for a little bit and that softened the glue attaching everything together. I'm not sure if this would even remotely work on the xB tail lights, but hey, worth a mention I guess.

Nick Manning
(just incase sigs are needed here)
Most people just bake them in the oven to get the glue loosend up, there is a huge write up on scion life.

very nice tails. kleeen. i see you're sporting buddyclubs? love 'em.
actually they are Advan RG's. :)
http://www.cm-pixels.com/images/Shaun/advan/85.jpg

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Sweet!

I’ve always loved this look for taillights.

Well done. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.