Scion xB Forum banner

Bb Turbo vs Scion Turbo comparison

Tags
bb turbo
4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Bachmeier 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Im just wondering if there are any simularitys between the JDM bb Turbo and an xb Turbo? Im waiting on my Bb from Japan at the moment and from the engine bay picture I have I cant make out any BOV and the Air Intake looks stock so Im wondering what parts from the xb can be used or would be reccomended?

#5 ·
TRD set up you have is the best you can get for the engine with stock internals.
It is the safest and most efficient turbo system for the street car. There is no such thing as "xB turbo" in the same sense as "trd bB turbo". There are many aftermarket kits that work on xB but none of them have the advantage of the TRD one: factory engineering with OEM components.
BOV's are illegal on street cars and many competitions also. Their main purpose is to make sound and look shiny. Internal bypass and the wastegate that all factory systems have do the job of boost limiting and surge protection without the need for BOV. Besides, the BOV's and MAF sensors don't go well together.

#8 ·
If you ever get that TRD turbo bB i recommend that you pause and learn as much as possible about it. And then enjoy it the way it is.
What you have is like very stock (and rare) Buick Grand National. You don't want to be like every kid that gets a basic Regal and starts throwing e-bay crap on it to make it fast. I can pretty much guarantee that any aftermarket engine related part you want to add will take away from reliability and value of what you have, starting with the intake. Why do you want one for the turbocharged car anyway?

#10 ·
I hear where your coming from with adding parts and devaluing the car but I don't think I've ever owned a car that wasn't modified in some way and Likewise I never had reliability issues with cars I've owned that we're modified be it turbo or n/a, maby i got lucky but I've owned quite a few.

Looking at the intake from the picture it just looks like its stuck in a nice hotspot in the engine bay so I'm thinking down the line of cai to obviously get cooler denser air in and hopefully increase power. Likewise In intercooler looks the same given theres no bonnent vent and its not that close to the grill.

I'm not looking to build a monster here just a few subtle mods that would enhance performance without going crazy.

But I'm open to suggestions and advice whatever it may be!

#11 ·
My suggestion would be to evaluate what you have, once you get it. Compare to the official TRD info and go from there.
http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_trdturbo-plan.html

See if you have air shields to duct the air to the intercooler, TRD numbered ECU, etc. That kit was offered as factory installed option for some crazy money. It had redesigned air intake box, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, whatever you can make out in the picture.
Intake will do 0 difference and compromise reliability of the MAF sensor. Honestly, i would see about rebuliding/upgrading suspension first. As far as speed: that bB is already faster than 99% of the 1nz equipped cars on the planet. Good luck.

#13 ·
My suggestion would be to evaluate what you have, once you get it. Compare to the official TRD info and go from there.

See if you have air shields to duct the air to the intercooler, TRD numbered ECU, etc. That kit was offered as factory installed option for some crazy money. It had redesigned air intake box, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, whatever you can make out in the picture.
Intake will do 0 difference and compromise reliability of the MAF sensor. Honestly, i would see about rebuliding/upgrading suspension first. As far as speed: that bB is already faster than 99% of the 1nz equipped cars on the planet. Good luck.
I can't argue with that advice :) On the inspectors report i got it states aftermarket supsension, but ive no idea as to weather its coilovers or just springs on standard shocks.

I think I'll sit tight for the time being on any additional parts engine wise except except for a service when it lands, On that subject should I be using a different grade oil over a stock model?

Thanks for the advice

#19 ·
Its a real shame you cant import cars from Japan, its even easy enough to take a car in from the states to Ireland we dont have any restrictions just hefty amounts of tax to be paid to the goverment depending on the car's emmissions, believe it or not you would probably see more trans'ams over here than Bb's!

#20 ·
Oh it can be done. It's just expensive and a hassle.

The hardest part is to get a car not sold in the US. But if they have sold it in the states, some people go the illegal route of Vin Swapping. Not legal, but I do know a friend of mine has a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R that's VIN swapped and registered.

#23 ·
Look closer at the front grill the TRD turbo optioned bB's had a modified stock grill to allow cool air into the top mounted inter-cooler that's why the shields (attached to under hood area) are there to direct the air through the inter-cooler

#26 ·
So I finally got the car, haven't driven it much yet just a short test, its a fun little car to drive so different to what I'm used to, slight observation though, with your foot down its boosting to 0.5bar but feels like its being held back a little,

I'm not sure if its just the auto gearing confusing me or does .5 bar seem a little on the low side boost wise?

#28 ·
I built my own turbo kit.T25/28 Run 7psi. Didn't want anything crazy. Just wanted to be able to go up hill. Lol. I have a full fiberglass wall with four huge 15" subs in it. All prolly weighs around 400lbs. So I needed some help moving. Used a 5th injector. 75lb with a module to run it. Dynoed 160hp and 170lbs and it's held up good with no issues. Knock on wood.

---------- Post added 12-12-2012 at 07:08 PM ----------

And I ran a fmi and mine looks pretty wild under the hood and a lot more to look at then that pic is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.