Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[B]So I got a " fix it " ticket for modified exhaust..

4K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  ugly_frog 
#1 ·
So Im in huntington park,ca... went to pay some bills.. as I pull out of the driveway I see a cop pull behind me... out of nowhere i see the blue/red lights flash me.. i pull over to the side... cop asked me for driver's license,registration, insurance.. i hand him the stuff.. he says " the reason i stopped you was because you have a modified exhaust pipe "... i have revision court on feb.2 .... ive already put the stock muffler on the car but i still feel a part of it missing :( ( the exhaust sound as i drive on the 5 ) .... i seemed to have lost the silencer of the exhaust.. that might have been the reason the cop stopped me, but i was doing like 15mph b4 he stopped me, hence not making much sound.. but yeah... any suggestions on what i may install on it to still gimme the sound but not attract (cop) attention?? ... I'll post pics of the exhaust pipe i had on the box later on... but yeah.. if any suggestions, hit me up...[COLOR="black"][/COLOR]

#7 ·
Nah... more like in downtown los angeles... i wasnt even cruising it... just a daily routine.... and now... my car feels empty... its just prolly gonna be 20 bucks to get it checked... but iono.. :(

#10 ·
You can just go to any donut shop where there is a cop..:D :D LOL and ask if they will sign off your ticket. Then you can take that to the court to show it was fixed. Been a long time since I had a fix it ticket so not sure of the fine. If you see the Judge it will be less. If you pay at the window they can't cut the fine only Judge can. You can call the court and ask what the fine is.

#13 ·
Yeah, it's great living outside of Cali since you can basically do what you want to your car and not get hassled for it. If you want it over 100db from the exhaust, go for it!

I for one don't like anything above the cali regulation of 93db myself, but eh....some people like em loud

#17 ·
Sorry about the ticket.

I tend to think cops don't write tickets for loud exhaust, they write tickets for exhaust that sounds like crap.

Here is my advice to you.....

Do a search for exhaust and look for threads I have participated in. The reason why I am having you do this is I have built my own cat-back exhaust system and it sounds great. It is louder that stock by a fair amount, but since it sounds nice I never get hasseled for it.

#18 ·
Well the exhaust sounded good... this was actually the second i put in cus the other i had on it sounded like crap... it had a low crisp sound as opposed to the other one that sounded like a blender... yet again.. cops in l.are just a**holes.. Think flowmasters will do??

#24 ·
When I had a Tanabe Super Medallion axleback, at 4k rpm under no load, he meter read 78 dB. And that was w/ an Injen SRI.

#22 · (Edited)
Once again, I must reiterate.

Any modification to a vehicle in the state of CA, or should I say the Democratic Republic of Kalifornia, that is not within OEM specs is citable.

And again, any vehicle on a public roadway can be stopped for an inspection.

All that stuff about Probable Cause is garbage. Driving is a privelage, not a right. And the sections in the CA Vehicle Code are there for safety reasons.

And yes, there is the Letter of the Law that states a Certified Peace Officer in the state of CA may cite for any of those sections when a vehicle is being driven on a public roadway, but then there is also the Spirit of the Law, where the Peace Officer may let you go w/ a verbal warning.

Bash Police Officers all you want, but when you're getting robbed, your sister, mother, or daughter is getting raped, your house or car is getting burglarized, or you need asistance in any way, the Police Officer is generally the first person you see when YOU call for help.

Some agencies and depts are operate differently than others.

What may seem petty to you, may be important to someone else.

Maybe someone complained about the loud vehicular noise traffic in the area, maybe the Officer's SGT was uypset by the Officer's lack of pro-activity, who knows the real reason behind the stop.

The Officer could have checked to see you had all of your lugnuts, he could have opened your hood, he could have checked all of your lights, he could have checked your fluid levels...................there are alot of things an Officer can inspect, and if any deficienies were found, could have cited you for an Unsafe vehicle and towed it until the repairs are made.

Did you know there is even a section that states the specifications for sunglasses?

And yes, 27007 VC is for music audible past 50 feet.

Yes, I am a Police Officer, but in the city I work in, I have other priorities I deal with. No, I do not eat donuts, I rarely drink coffee, but at age 42 I can still run 3 miles in roughly 21 minutes or less.

For those who choose cop bash.......let me ask you this. Would you prefer someone who has no clue of the job you perform, telling you how to do your job!?!

#27 ·
funny thing was that as soon as i pulled out from the parking space was when the cop got behind me... we all know that when u step on the gas it makes the loud rumble noise.... but i didnt even make any noise as i pulled out.. i gently stepped on the gas and was going on my way... ( no loud music or any sort of distraction at the time) then i saw a cop behind me... flashed his lights.. pulled me over.... funny thing though... as he had me pulled over... like 2 hondas passed the scene making more noise than me and were just ignored.. iono.. :/

#23 ·
Also, a Fix-It-Ticket can be signed off by any Peace Officer, and the fee is $10.

If the Police Officer wanted to truly be an @$$hole, he could have put a sticker on the back of the cite and sent you to a state referee, taken a pic w/ his digi camera of your exhaust, and then you would have had to pay the fine, not the Fix-It-Ticket fee.

#28 · (Edited)

That's how the back of my box looks after the removal of the exhaust... i put the stock exhaust back on but didnt like the tip it had so i just put another fatter/chrome one...it still makes a lil noise hence they took out some catalyc from the middle of the whole exhaust system but its not the same..

p.s sorry for the blurry pics... it was windy outside hence blowing alot of dust i guess...

#30 ·
Funny, this topic always comes up when someone gets a ticket for some mod.

You broke the law, got a ticket, live with it.

And yeah, Squirrel is just as hard online as off, I know him and work in the same area as he does, or used to. He is a good guy, don't complain to him about doing his job, you may need him some day.

If you don't like the laws, do what you can to change them, or live with em.

And someone mentioned " why do they make them or sell them if they are illegal ?". check the package, it probably states " For Offroad or Show Only, not to be used on the street". leaves it up to whom ever buys it to know they are breaking the law if driven on the street.

And Squirrel, you can put that C-4 away:D , some folks just don't get it.

#35 ·
I run the TRD axleback, and have never been hassled for it, and here in the town I work at in Delaware, they have really cracked down on loud exhaust.

When I was younger I used to get bent out of shape about muffler laws, but now that I am older, and get woken up at night by one of my neighbors son's fart can honda, I understand the laws. My Harley was louder than any 4 cylinder car I have ever heard, and I did get hassled over it, but then again, I never fired it up past 10 PM.

Laws have a purpose. People have a right to sleep at night. Dont blame the state, blame the assholes that drive around at 3am with their system up revving their engine. We have plenty of those around here in Maryland.

#37 ·
I think the TRD is a factory replacement, somebody correct me if I am wrong.

#38 ·
I'm pretty sure you can at least get the TRD, because it's a factory option.

It's just like how the other companies (Pontiac) offers a different exhaust for their vehicles too.

#43 ·
yeah... cops are diff. in downtown cus over there its packed with ppl in suits and ties... in hp its full hispanics..lol ( im hispanic, i could use the joke)... lol... but im kinda getting used to the " stock-ish" sound my box is releasing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.